number representations (was: even vs. odd numbers)
Author Message
 number representations (was: even vs. odd numbers)

: >Fact: the AND trick used in your example only works for *positive* signed
: >integers and unsigned integers.

: Which raises a question in my mind:
:   Does anyone know of an actual ones-complement computer that
:   is still in use?  (Or sign-magnitude for that matter?)

: (I do try and ensure that I don't gratuitously introduce
: "2s complement" dependencies into my code, since the
: language standard allows for other possibilities, and will
: continue to until such time as the standard might be changed,
: but I am curious as to how pointless my efforts really are.)

:               --Ken Pizzini

--
**************begin r.s. response****************

        traditional thinking has been
        that
        generally,
        target operands of
                bitwise operations
        and
                shift operations
        should be unsigned ...
        if such are signed then they
        may be cast ...

**************end r.s. response******************
Ralph Silverman

Fri, 27 Aug 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. even vs. odd numbers

2. Even/odd week number

3. determine whether a number is odd or even

4. IVF odd behaviour: subroutine vs function returning floating point number

5. Numbers Numbers Numbers

6. Hove to shift page numbers from left to right side depending on even uneven pagenumber

7. odd number problem

8. odd number...

9. How to find the closest even number ?

10. odd number?

11. odd compiler complaints with large numbers

12. Odd performance numbers