Assembler for x86 in UNIX
Author Message
 Assembler for x86 in UNIX

I run FreeBSD most of the time and was wondering if there is an assembler that
I could use in my UNIX environment to make executables rather than go to DOS
and use TASM, MASM, etc. I wouldn't mind comments on any UNIX assemblers there
are for the x86 architecture. Thanks in advance.

Arcadian

Sun, 08 Jul 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Assembler for x86 in UNIX
Quote:

> I run FreeBSD most of the time and was wondering if there is an assembler that

i see there are more and more enlightened people that use FreeBSD :)
Quote:
> I could use in my UNIX environment to make executables rather than go to DOS
> and use TASM, MASM, etc. I wouldn't mind comments on any UNIX assemblers there
> are for the x86 architecture. Thanks in advance.

the one and only answer is NASM
http://www.cryogen.com/Nasm
nasm can produce OMF, coff, wincoff, aout(linux) aout(freebsd) and
ELF output
i have been using it with 2.2.5, 2.2.6, 2.2.7 and 3.0
and it works fine
the best part is that you can use your asm code with dos
windowze and unix programs just with simple recompilation

if you have more questions regarding nasm and freebsd i'll be happy to
assist :)
dominik behr

Sun, 08 Jul 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Assembler for x86 in UNIX

Quote:
> I run FreeBSD most of the time and was wondering if there is an
> assembler that I could use in my UNIX environment to make executables
> rather than go to DOS and use TASM, MASM, etc. I wouldn't mind
> comments on any UNIX assemblers there are for the x86 architecture.

 If you use gcc (or in fact any *nix compiler) you already have an
assembler in you system (as the compiler translates C source into assembly
language source; see also the "-S" option).  It's called "as" and you may
usually find it's documentation by typing `info as'.  The docs include all
directives as well as a brief introduction into AT&T i386 syntax.

 There are also other alternatives over Internet.  NASM is one of these
which come to my mind.

--
+  Maciej W. Rozycki, Technical University of Gdansk, Poland   +

Sun, 08 Jul 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Assembler for x86 in UNIX
you can do a search for 'nasm': it is available for a number of platforms.

bye, Danny.

> I run FreeBSD most of the time and was wondering if there is an assembler that
> I could use in my UNIX environment to make executables rather than go to DOS
> and use TASM, MASM, etc. I wouldn't mind comments on any UNIX assemblers there
> are for the x86 architecture. Thanks in advance.

> Arcadian

Mon, 16 Jul 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. x86 assemblers for unix platform?

2. UNIX hosted x86 assembler?

3. x86 assembler on awk

4. Learning X86 assembler

5. WANTED: x86 shareware/freeware assembler..

6. Assembler x86 with AT&T Syntax for DOS/Win

7. Accessing x86 extended regs with 16bit assembler.

8. WinNT[x86] service(s) in assembler

9. x86 Assembler

10. All x86 Assembler Instructions

11. Help with x86 Assembler Program