Using Debug to search a very large file?
Author Message
 Using Debug to search a very large file?

ok I got this file which when loaded into debug the registers
of BX and CX which give the size of the file are

                BX=0056
                CX=3860

Now how can I use the Search command to scan this file for a string.

Sat, 19 Dec 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Using Debug to search a very large file?

Quote:

>ok I got this file which when loaded into debug the registers
>of BX and CX which give the size of the file are

>                BX=0056
>                CX=3860

>Now how can I use the Search command to scan this file for a string.

   You can't (easily).  You could do a segment by segment search but
that's a LOT of work.  If you are looking for a 'text' string, there are
commericial programs available to search the file for you.  I'm pretty
there must be a shareware/freeware program to do this also, I just don't
know what they are or where to get them (it).

   There is an OLD Norton program around called TS (Text Search) but
I'm not even sure it is still available.

   BTW, what version of DEBUG are you using?  My math tells me this file
is more than 5M and MY DEBUG can't handle anything {*filter*} than about
600K!  Did you REALLY get this 5M byte file loaded into DEBUG?

   Good Luck!

   Jim Neil

Sat, 19 Dec 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Using Debug to search a very large file?

Quote:

>>ok I got this file which when loaded into debug the registers
>>of BX and CX which give the size of the file are

>>                BX=0056
>>                CX=3860

>>Now how can I use the Search command to scan this file for a string.
>   You can't (easily).  You could do a segment by segment search but
>that's a LOT of work.  If you are looking for a 'text' string, there are
>commericial programs available to search the file for you.  I'm pretty
>there must be a shareware/freeware program to do this also, I just don't
>know what they are or where to get them (it).

Xtree's list function has a good search capability.  You can do a hex
search if you display the file in dump mode.  Don't forget to add 100
to the found address when you get back to debug.

Vernon Buerg's "list" has lots of good features too.  There are other
memory tools around.  One is called memlook.  Xray is great but
doesn't search.

Mon, 21 Dec 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Using Debug to search a very large file?

Quote:
> I got this file which when loaded into DEBUG shows the registers
> of BX and CX, which give the size of the file as:

>    BX=0056
>    CX=3860

>Now how can I use the Search command to scan this file for a string?

You can only search the current segment referenced by DS (64K) at a time.
You can then increase the value of DS and repeat it. This is tedious, but
it will work. If you have some idea of where the string is located to begin
with, you can narrow your search, instead of just blindly searching through
the entire file. You should first use Vernon Buerg's LIST program (or equiv.)
to view the entire file, and search for the string. Once you have found it,
switch to a hex dump display, repeat the search, and note the offset of it.
Restart DEBUG, add 100h to the offset that you found, and then set DS to
the necessary value to locate the string.

Your other option is to use a shareware program called DIS86.EXE -- look
for DIS86??.ZIP in a Simtel archive under .../disasm/  and you should be
able to find it. That program will display HUGE files, in both hex dump
and unassembled code modes.

Don
--

Thu, 24 Dec 1998 03:00:00 GMT

1. Searching Large TPS Files

2. Search and replace on a large text file

3. searching one file using the contents of another file

4. Anyone using Large File Support with Tcl?

5. rebooting computer - using debug to write com file

6. Using MS VB to debug fotran code (*.f files)

8. in-file search/replace question without using mv or cp

9. File search using TT's CatSearch Plugin

10. FYI - Re: Speed of searching file using Queues

11. CW2001.01 Search for number key using GET(file,key) PROBLEM

12. Dropdown directory / file search using TCL 7.4 / TK 4.0