finished???
Author Message
 finished???

Hi  ,  how are you??

Would you like to tell me what will the computer do when it finished all the
instruction from boot sector ?Keep going to fetch the instructions that next
to the 0000:7c00 or jmp to somewhere???
If it keep going to fetch the instructions , how about it reach the highest
address limit ? That mean what will it do when it fetched the last
instruction from the top of 1MB??

thank you for all you answers ....

Wed, 03 Jul 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 finished???

   >Hi, how are you??

Well, I'm fine as frog hair; thanks very much for inquiring of this
humble personage.  May the gods smile on you and your posterity, and
give you many children to help work the rice paddies.

   >Would you like to tell me what will the computer do when it
   >finished all the instruction from boot sector?

Since you asked...no, I would =not= particularly like to tell you that.

   >Keep going to fetch
   >the instructions that next to the 0000:7c00 or jmp to somewhere???
   >If it keep going to fetch the instructions , how about it reach the
   >highest address limit ? That mean what will it do when it fetched
   >the last instruction from the top of 1MB??

Oh, all right; I'll tell you, if you promise not to use the information
to advance some silly-assed Communist agenda.  We have too much of that
{*filter*}in the U.S.A. already.

Here's how DOS does it.

> [...]

>COMMAND.COM.  This includes displaying error messages and interpreting the
>replies to the "Abort, Retry, Ignore, Fail?" message.

> Since the transient portion of COMMAND.COM is so large (containing the
>internal commands and all those error messages), and it is not needed when the
>user is running an application it can be overlaid that program if that
>application needs the room.  When the application is through, the resident
>portion of COMMAND.COM brings the transient portion back into memory to show
>the prompt.  This is why you will sometimes see the message "Insert disk with
>COMMAND.COM". It needs to get the transient portion off the disk since it was
>overlaid with the application program.

> The initialization portion of COMMAND.COM follows the resident portion and is
>given control during the bootup procedure. This section actually processes the
>AUTOEXEC.BAT file. It also decides where to load the user's programs when they
>are executed. Since this code is only needed during startup, it is overlaid by
>the first program which COMMAND.COM loads.

> The transient portion is loaded at the high end of memory and it is the
>command processor itself. It interprets whatever the user types in at the
>keyboard, hence messages such as "Bad command or file name" for when the user
>misspells a command. This portion contains all the internal commands (i.e.
>COPY, DIR, RENAME, ERASE), the batch file processor (to run .BAT files) and
>a routine to load and execute external commands which are either .COM or
>.EXE files.

> The transient portion of COMMAND.COM produces the system prompt, (C>), and
>reads what the user types in from the keyboard and tries to do something with
>it. For any .COM or .EXE files, it builds a command line and issues an EXEC
>function call to load the program and transfer control to it.

>DOS INITIALIZATION

> The system is initialized by a software reset (Ctrl-Alt-Del), a hardware reset
>(reset button), or by turning the computer on. The Intel x86 series processors
>always look for their first instruction at the end of their address space
>(0FFFF0h) when powered up or reset. This address contains a jump to the first
>instruction for the ROM BIOS.

> Built-in ROM programs (Power-On Self-Test, or POST, in the IBM) check machine
>status and run inspection programs of various sorts. Some machines set up a
>reserved RAM area with bytes indicating installed equipment (AT and PCjr).

> When the ROM BIOS finds a ROM on an adapter card, it lets that ROM take
>control of the system so that it may perform any set up necessary to use the
>hardware or software controlled by that ROM. The ROM BIOS searches absolute
>addresses C8000h through E0000h in 2K increments in search of a valid ROM.
>A valid ROM is determined by the first few bytes in the ROM. The ROM will have
>the bytes 55h, AAh, a length indicator and then the assembly language

read more »

Wed, 10 Jul 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. Detecting When Startup Has Finished

2. Detecting when a Mac has finished booting up

3. Finishing the awk Job

4. OOA of a large already finished project

5. How to determine window has finished opening

6. Wait until program finish on CW5ee

7. A button disables after another button is finished..

8. Is C5EE ver.a the finished product

9. Distributing finished VW ST Smalltalk app

10. Finish my C5/MS-SQL Project - Houston, TX

11. Only print report after first one finished

12. Need quick Answer - must finish project today.