First thing in making an OS
Author Message
 First thing in making an OS

If I was to make an OS, i would first have to load the kernel through the boot
sector.
After the kernel was loaded, what should some of the first code be about?
Things like setting up interrupt vector, etc...?

GS d- s: a---- C++++ W++
 N++ K- W+++++ M-- PS
PE+ Y+ PGP- t 5 X++ R
tv+ b DI+++ D---- Ge-- h! r+

Sat, 12 Jan 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 First thing in making an OS

Quote:

> If I was to make an OS, i would first have to load the kernel through the boot
> sector.
> After the kernel was loaded, what should some of the first code be about?
> Things like setting up interrupt vector, etc...?

> GS d- s: a---- C++++ W++
>  N++ K- W+++++ M-- PS
> PE+ Y+ PGP- t 5 X++ R
> tv+ b DI+++ D---- Ge-- h! r+

        There is no set way to do it, but the way I would do it is this:
Once the kernel is loaded, all it really has to do is setup any int
vectors, and then just call the interrupt to load a command interpretor.
Just a few lines actually.

Dave

--
The DS-OS Operating System Programming page: http://dsos.cjb.net
Here you'll also find the source to a PS/2 mouse driver.

Remove NO_SPAM to reply!

"The ability to imagine and the ability to create are one and the same"

"A Computer without windows is like a fish without a bicycle"

Sat, 12 Jan 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. Making things tail-recursive...

2. making sure some things resize while others don't

3. making things appear on mouseEnter and disappear on mouseLeave

4. Error Making my first class

5. Error Making my first class

6. Error when making my first Class

7. Making PyXML - compile error on first module

8. Is this an OS thing?

9. Praiseworthy things (was: Why so few OS deaths)

10. WIN95 - some things I would like to see in OS/2

11. RB 3.2.1 compiling for OS X makes weird colors

12. Making OS/2 look a little bit pretty?