IDE Disk to standby??
Author Message
 IDE Disk to standby??

Hi,

I am running Win95 with an IDE hard disk.

I am trying to write a program (to run in Win95) which will
put the disk immediately into standby mode, where the disk motor stops.

I know that there are utilities which can make the IDE disk power down
after a period of inactivity but I am not interested in that.

Ralf Browns Ports list shows that there is the facility to make an IDE
disk enter standby mode immediately using port 1f7 (I think)
but that is probably unuseable in Win95 because of the real/protected
mode stuff.

Can anyone give me any help in how to do this.

Please reply to newsgroups.

Regards

Nick Thomas
--
Nick Thomas
Software Developer

WWW: http://www.*-*-*.com/

Mon, 18 Feb 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 IDE Disk to standby??
werd, win9x blocks the HD ports.  the suggested method would be to write a
VxD..  but i have DOS code by mtippach that obtains ring0 (full i/o port
access), which sounds like it'd do what you need.

_the undocumented pc_ says the IDE standby/sleep modes are mainly for
laptops.  my 386 desktop doesn't support em, but maybe newer ones do..

: Hi,

: I am running Win95 with an IDE hard disk.

: I am trying to write a program (to run in Win95) which will
: put the disk immediately into standby mode, where the disk motor stops.

: I know that there are utilities which can make the IDE disk power down
: after a period of inactivity but I am not interested in that.

: Ralf Browns Ports list shows that there is the facility to make an IDE
: disk enter standby mode immediately using port 1f7 (I think)
: but that is probably unuseable in Win95 because of the real/protected
: mode stuff.

: Can anyone give me any help in how to do this.

Mon, 18 Feb 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 IDE Disk to standby??
Thanks for you reply,

Quote:
>werd, win9x blocks the HD ports.  the suggested method would be to write a
>VxD..  but i have DOS code by mtippach that obtains ring0 (full i/o port
>access), which sounds like it'd do what you need.

This DOS code, does it only run from a DOS prompt in Win95?
It would be better if it ran from a Windows App.
Anyway I would be interested to take a look at it, can you email it to
me (see email address below).

Writing a VxD sounds a lot involved just to get this simple
functionality! Are there any good tutorials on writing VxDs?

Quote:
>_the undocumented pc_ says the IDE standby/sleep modes are mainly for
>laptops.  my 386 desktop doesn't support em, but maybe newer ones do..

My IDE disks in my desktop do.
I have a utility program from Seagate which you put in the config.sys
file and it sets the IDE disks standby and idle timeouts, so I know that
the IDE disks I have actually do support power saving.

However, I want a program which puts the disks into power-down
immediately.

Any more help appreciated.

Regards

Nick Thomas

--
Nick Thomas
Software Developer
Advanced Control Systems Ltd

WWW: http://www.advcontl.demon.co.uk

Tue, 19 Feb 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 IDE Disk to standby??
i was sorta unclear on what the DOS code does: it just gets ring0, but
adding the sleep command should be very easy.  there is Windows CPL 0 code
over at:  members.tripod.com/~bphantom.

a VxD does sound like overkill, and i'm not sure where to learn about
them.  the machine with the cpl0 code on it is in repairs now, but i'll
try to find the newsgroup posting.

: Thanks for you reply,

[...]

1. Verilog IDE disk drive interface

2. INT13 on 4G-IDE disks

3. REQ: Info on formatting SCSI and IDE disks with INT13h

4. ANN: SCSIPyTOOLS a library of Python tools to test SCSI and IDE disk drives

5. Upgrading news server software on w3.uccb.ns.ca - please standby

6. Issue with "after" after system standby

7. IDE or Enhanced-IDE?

8. ANNOUNCE: CodeMagic Universal IDE for Win32 (Free Perl IDE)

9. Finding files on a given disk on other accessed disk

10. OS writing: detecting which disk was used as boot disk

11. Large data array (operations) via disk disk files

12. AT, IDE, SCSI hard disks, no low level format?