asm code for LCD
Author Message
 asm code for LCD

Quote:
>Please, where to find Web documentation on video programming in notebooks,
>and interrupts. And BIOS in notebooks.
>I do not see anywhere discussions on these topics.
>Thanks  in advance.

>Pluton

There shouldn't be any basic difference between video programming on a
desktop PC or on a notebook. The only additional information for
notebooks may be some additional function in the BIOS for the most
common (older) video chips like Cirrus Logic,OAK and C&T. And the info
about these can be found in Ralf Brown's Interrupt List.

Thu, 08 Aug 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 asm code for LCD

Quote:

>>Please, where to find Web documentation on video programming in notebooks,
>>and interrupts. And BIOS in notebooks.
>>I do not see anywhere discussions on these topics.
>>Thanks  in advance.

>>Pluton
> There shouldn't be any basic difference between video programming on a
> desktop PC or on a notebook. The only additional information for
> notebooks may be some additional function in the BIOS for the most
> common (older) video chips like Cirrus Logic,OAK and C&T. And the info
> about these can be found in Ralf Brown's Interrupt List.

Manufacturers of notebooks do not use "common (older) video chips", mentionned
in Ralf Brown's Interrupt List, neither common BIOS chips. They do not disclose
documentation.

Pluton

Thu, 08 Aug 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 asm code for LCD

   >>>Please, where to find Web documentation on video programming in
   >>>notebooks, and interrupts. And BIOS in notebooks.
   >>>I do not see anywhere discussions on these topics.
   >>>Thanks in advance.
   >>>Pluton

   >>There shouldn't be any basic difference between video programming
   >>on a desktop PC or on a notebook. The only additional information
   >>for notebooks may be some additional function in the BIOS for the
   >>most common (older) video chips like Cirrus Logic, OAK and C&T.
   >>And the info about these can be found in Ralf Brown's Interrupt
   >>List.

   >Manufacturers of notebooks do not use "common (older) video chips",
   >mentioned in Ralf Brown's Interrupt List, neither common BIOS
   >chips. They do not disclose documentation.
   >Pluton

Please, Pluton, be specific.  =Which= particular 'notebook' are you
talking about?

The only major differences between relatively modern 'notebook' and
desktop computers are:

  1. The 'notebooks' often contain a low-current-draw version of
     whatever processor chip is being used, and

  2. The video is sometimes MCGA, rather than VGA or SVGA.

BIOS, port addresses, supported interrupts, etc., should all be
exactly the same as in a desktop-style computer.

So unless you have an =extremely= odd-ball, highly proprietary
'notebook' machine, you shouldn't have any problems.

Unless, of course, you have a VERY old 8088- or Z80-based 'notebook'
..in which case, we're dealing with an entirely different set of
problems altogether.

Run some diagnostics on your 'notebook' (perhaps MSD, if it can
run DOS), and then let us know what processor and what video type
your 'notebook' contains.  Also, the BIOS brand and version number.

Thu, 08 Aug 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 asm code for LCD

Quote:

> Please, Pluton, be specific.  =Which= particular 'notebook' are you
> talking about?

> The only major differences between relatively modern 'notebook' and
> desktop computers are:

>   1. The 'notebooks' often contain a low-current-draw version of
>      whatever processor chip is being used, and

>   2. The video is sometimes MCGA, rather than VGA or SVGA.

> BIOS, port addresses, supported interrupts, etc., should all be
> exactly the same as in a desktop-style computer.

> So unless you have an =extremely= odd-ball, highly proprietary
> 'notebook' machine, you shouldn't have any problems.

> Unless, of course, you have a VERY old 8088- or Z80-based 'notebook'
> ..in which case, we're dealing with an entirely different set of
> problems altogether.

> Run some diagnostics on your 'notebook' (perhaps MSD, if it can
> run DOS), and then let us know what processor and what video type
> your 'notebook' contains.  Also, the BIOS brand and version number.

I have a recent Acer model of TravelMate, but the problem is specific to all
notebooks, as they are concerned with power (battery) management, which
is supported only by Windows, and not by DOS.  Embedded systems have
similar problems. So I do not have BIOS setup, which is replaced by Notebook
manager.  I have problems in installing other (non-Window) OS, and I try to
avoid irreversible steps. Maybe certain hardware components in notebooks
are conceived only for Windows usage. For example, win-modems: can you reprogram
them to use in DOS or Linux ? To answer, you need documentation, and manufacturers
refuse to disclose it. Of course, I can run my notebook in MS-DOS mode, with a
hidden win support in background !  I have to boot from a floppy, to obtain a pure
DOS, and only with DOS rescue diskette, done by Notebook. Other DOS diskettes
are refused.

Pluton

Fri, 09 Aug 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 asm code for LCD

First, you should have been more specific in your original message.
Maybe it's because English is not your native language, so if you can
better explain it it german, let me know (sorry my french is probably
worse than your english).

Quote:

>I have a recent Acer model of TravelMate, but the problem is specific to all
>notebooks, as they are concerned with power (battery) management, which
>is supported only by Windows, and not by DOS.  Embedded systems have

In DOS there is  POWER.EXE as tool for notebook power mangment.

Quote:
>similar problems. So I do not have BIOS setup, which is replaced by Notebook
>manager.  I have problems in installing other (non-Window) OS, and I try to

What non-Windows OS are you trying to install ?

Quote:
>avoid irreversible steps. Maybe certain hardware components in notebooks
>are conceived only for Windows usage. For example, win-modems: can you reprogram

WinModems are a general problem, not specific to notebooks. The only
chance to get around this is to get an external modem (either serial
or a USB one).
Quote:
>them to use in DOS or Linux ? To answer, you need documentation, and manufacturers
>refuse to disclose it. Of course, I can run my notebook in MS-DOS mode, with a
>hidden win support in background !  I have to boot from a floppy, to obtain a pure
>DOS, and only with DOS rescue diskette, done by Notebook. Other DOS diskettes
>are refused.

What do you mean by "are refused" ? I was playing with an Acer
TravelMate the other week and was perfectly able to install DOS and
Novell NetWare 5 on it (not as a serious solution, but it was the only
scapable machine around to play with some NetWare patches !)

Quote:
>Pluton

You have posted in a assembler programming newsgroup, so i first
assumed that you're looking for programming information.
The recent Acer notebooks use more or less "regular" video chip sets
(either ATI or NeoMagic), and for these you can get video drivers at
least for Linux too.

Ralf

Fri, 09 Aug 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. help =:) 68hc11 asm graphic LCD

2. Making std asm code into Turbo Asm code?

3. Code to drive an LCD?

4. Need help for LCD Sample Code in VHDL for HD44780A

5. ASM compiler in asm-code

6. Linking asm code to C++ code

7. ASM code public/private key cryptography source code

8. Linking asm code into C++ code

9. x86 ASM code -> z80 asm code??

10. Clipper app and LCD flat displays?

11. LCD output in Clipper