32bit ASM
Author Message
 32bit ASM

Does 32bit ASM programming need to use binary, hexadecimal etc. since
all the tutorials I had on 32 bit doesn't teach them while 16 bit ASM
tutorial teaches them?
Thanks

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.*-*-*.com/

Thu, 24 Jul 2003 10:30:21 GMT
 32bit ASM

Quote:
> Does 32bit ASM programming need to use binary, hexadecimal etc. since
> all the tutorials I had on 32 bit doesn't teach them while 16 bit ASM
> tutorial teaches them?
> Thanks

Yes; The basic difference between 16-bit and 32-bit is just that...the size
(amount of bits) of registers and such inside the processor...otherwise,
everything else is pretty much the same from the perspective of the
processor...

The 32-bit tutorials are probably just avoiding these topics because they
are (wrongly) assuming that you know all this stuff already...but these
things certainly still apply to 32-bit...

In fact, maybe an idea is to read the 16-bit tutorials about this sort of
fundamental stuff and then move onto the 32-bit tutorials...if we're talking
things like binary and hexadecimal representation then this applies whatever
bitage we use, so you shouldn't find any problem doing this...

Really, 16-bit and 32-bit are the same thing in different sizes...it gets
more complicated, though, because Intel added a "protected mode" to their
processors and lots of 32-bit tutorials cover this complicated (but useful)
mode on the processor (btw, protected mode is not actually "32-bit
only"...it was added in the 16-bit 80286 processor but only when operating
systems went 32-bit did most people take any notice of this mode...so it's
commonly thought of and talked about in only the 32-bit tutorials and stuff
but it's not true to say that protected mode is "32-bit only" ;)...

Also, when operating systems went 32-bit, they got a whole lot more
complicated than 16-bit DOS (added more features and started using the
protected mode in the operating system ;), so a lot of the tutorials skip
over the "simple stuff" just because there is a whole lot more to explain
with 32-bit ASM...

Although, I'd recommend you take a look at Randall Hyde's Art of Assembly
tutorials...he has a 16-bit for DOS and a 32-bit one for Windows (which uses
a special HLA "high-level assembly" language, which was been designed to
help "newbies" get to grips with assembly easily, by using any high-level
language experience you might have - like C/C++, Pascal, etc.)...

These tutorials are very comprehensive and Randy is a university lecturer of
assembly language...so he is an experienced teacher of "newbies" and is wise
to the sort of things people learning assembly would like to know :)

Plus, and this is very important I'd guess, Randy frequently posts to and
reads the assembly newsgroups (like this one)...so you can post up problems
with assembly, his "Art of Assembly" or his HLA compiler and he's sure to
give you a useful answer...he's just a sweetie like that...hehehehe ;)

[ Although, I've heard some people speak out against Randy's HLA because its
"proprietry" and such but this is really being pedantic and petty...the
high-level interface is just there to ease you into assembly programming if
you're new...the instant you understand the basic ideas, you can drop the
high-level stuff completely, if you like...and even stop using HLA and start
using MASM instead...the difference in syntax is not really a concern
because all assemblers use a different syntax, so you'll need to learn this
anyway...(plus, is "mov (eax, ebx);" is not _that_ far removed from other
syntaxes that it'll be a massive leap ;)

Yes, HLA is a bit like a bike with stabilisers on the wheels...lol
:)..._but_, until you get your balance, stabilisers are a _very good_ idea
(insisting on falling off your bike all the time and not understanding
things is much more stupid-looking and embarassing than using "stabilisers"
for a short while...you'll get there faster, if you have the
patience..."more haste, less speed" ;)...and once you feel you can balance
on your bike without help, then just rip off those stabilisers and zoom
around on that bike...hehehehe ;)...no-one's forcing you to use them
forevermore ]

Beth :)

Thu, 24 Jul 2003 12:32:50 GMT
 32bit ASM

   >Does 32bit ASM programming need to use binary, hexadecimal etc.
   >since all the tutorials I had on 32 bit doesn't teach them while 16
   >bit ASM tutorial teaches them?

One doesn't =HAVE= to use binary or hex in 32-bit ASM; no more so
than one =has= to use it in 16-bit ASM.  You're perfectly free to
use decimal, if you'd like.

But if you comprehend 16-bit hex, 32-bit hex shouldn't be a problem.
Most of the coding examples you'll see will be in hex.

Net-Tamer V 1.08X - Test Drive

Thu, 24 Jul 2003 14:04:01 GMT

1. 32bit ASM-Code under DOS

2. 32bit ASM-Code under DOS

3. 32bit ASM

4. FLI/FLC player in 32bit asm

5. 32bit Asm Tutorials for beginners

6. Windows 16bit C Calling 32Bit ASM

7. Help for C compiler and 32bit 386 asm instrucions

8. Borland C++ and 32bit registers in asm modules

9. HELP: asm 32bit loader

10. 32bit mem range and 32bit instruction, no pmode

11. Translator ibm370-asm to hp-pa-asm

12. Translator ibm370-asm to hp-pa-asm