VIRUS VIRUS VIRUS
Author Message
 VIRUS VIRUS VIRUS

THIS FILE IS INFECTED WITH THE Backdoor.Bionet.318 VIRUS!  DO NOT OPEN!

Wed, 25 Feb 2004 23:07:25 GMT
 VIRUS VIRUS VIRUS

Quote:

>THIS FILE IS INFECTED WITH THE Backdoor.Bionet.318 VIRUS!  DO NOT OPEN!

What file?  I only see a plain text message, cross-posted to an odd
selection of groups, what looks like a small portion of an alphabetical
list of all newsgroups.

Thu, 26 Feb 2004 12:31:30 GMT
 VIRUS VIRUS VIRUS

Quote:

> >THIS FILE IS INFECTED WITH THE Backdoor.Bionet.318 VIRUS!  DO NOT OPEN!

> What file?  I only see a plain text message, cross-posted to an odd
> selection of groups, what looks like a small portion of an alphabetical
> list of all newsgroups.

There is a file...it's a 653k attachment...obviously, Bill, either your
newsreader or ISP is not letting you see the attachment...but I can see it
loud and clear, and looking at the filesize, he's probably right about it
being a virus (but, basically, I'm not opening it to find out, so I don't
know for a fact :)...

So, the warning is legitimate (I think :)...it just doesn't apply to you
because you can't see the attachment, is all...

Beth :)

Thu, 26 Feb 2004 20:05:19 GMT
 VIRUS VIRUS VIRUS
On Sun, 9 Sep 2001 13:05:19 +0100 wrote "Beth"

Quote:
>There is a file...it's a 653k attachment...obviously, Bill, either your
>newsreader or ISP is not letting you see the attachment...but I can see it
>loud and clear, and looking at the filesize, he's probably right about it
>being a virus (but, basically, I'm not opening it to find out, so I don't
>know for a fact :)...

I usually disseasmble such things but I also didn't see any attachments.

Where have you been? I thought I'm responsible for you no more posting,
because I sent you that game. :) Now you are sitting and playing games instead
of doing what you are supposed to do. :)

I'm still wondering about Paradroid. I'd love to see that as a shooter.
--
Bye,
   Gerhard

Fri, 27 Feb 2004 00:22:42 GMT
 VIRUS VIRUS VIRUS

Quote:
> There is a file...it's a 653k attachment...obviously, Bill, either your
> newsreader or ISP is not letting you see the attachment...but I can see it
> loud and clear, and looking at the filesize, he's probably right about it
> being a virus (but, basically, I'm not opening it to find out, so I don't
> know for a fact :)...

653K? that's big for a virus (smells suspicion of VB?)
Well, anyway I don't see it! This could be one of two things...
a) I'm infected, and it covered it's tracks well
b) BTInterent have a pathetically {*filter*}NewsServer!

Do you think you could e-mail it to me? (ZIP it first if possible?)
Thanks, I'll see if I can work out what it does.

Quote:
> So, the warning is legitimate (I think :)...it just doesn't apply to you
> because you can't see the attachment, is all...

Yes but why would you post a virus, and warn everyone?
Either:
a) Don't post a {*filter*}y virus
b) Tell everyone it's a really cool program they should try ;)

end
Daniel "a or b" Camp
Let the stickyness commence

Fri, 27 Feb 2004 01:21:59 GMT
 VIRUS VIRUS VIRUS

Quote:

> >There is a file...it's a 653k attachment...obviously, Bill, either your
> >newsreader or ISP is not letting you see the attachment...but I can see
it
> >loud and clear, and looking at the filesize, he's probably right about it
> >being a virus (but, basically, I'm not opening it to find out, so I don't
> >know for a fact :)...

> I usually disseasmble such things but I also didn't see any attachments.

Well, my ISP is more relaxed than most (I've sent an executable attachment
of a BASIC program on here before to demonstrate a point and that showed up
fine, although some people couldn't see it :)...I leave such things alone
normally, myself...

Quote:
> Where have you been? I thought I'm responsible for you no more posting,
> because I sent you that game. :) Now you are sitting and playing games
instead
> of doing what you are supposed to do. :)

lol...no, no...in fact, I haven't gone and got a C64 emulator yet to play
it...nope, just the usual call from the real world, insisting on some
attention...was temporarily busy, in other words :)

Quote:
> I'm still wondering about Paradroid. I'd love to see that as a shooter.

What? Yeah...so, you like my idea of re-implementing old classic games using
modern techniques? See, I reckon it would be really cool to redo Paradroid
with a proper first person view and, also, you could have more detailed maps
and a wider array of very different robots...BUT you still retain the very
clever gameplay ideas they used to have in the old days...like in Paradroid,
you have to balance shooting the enemy with taking them over...which is the
classic ingredient of any good game idea - be it chess, monopoly or
paradroid - the "conflicting interests" thing...like, in chess, making a
move can be as detrimental as it can be rewarding and you have to carefully
plan your moves...or, in Paradroid, you have the option of attacking the
enemy or actually taking over the enemy robot instead...thus, on the one
hand, you want to blow them sky high but, on the other hand, you don't want
to damage them too much because when the current robot you control gets into
trouble, you might have to bail out and take over that other robot you were
shooting at...I have to say that Mr.Braybrook was certainly clever with his
gameplay idea there...to defeat your enemy by becoming them...

I mean, that was what was so good about those retro games...they couldn't
just put a shotgun in someone's hand and stick a load of zombies in front of
them because the graphics and the hardware weren't up to running that sort
of thing, so they had no choice but to put a lot of effort into the gameplay
ideas...and every single game had something new and unique...

Well, I really think that my idea of combining the best of both worlds and
re-implementing old games with new technology would be a mega cool thing to
do...because, basically, gameplay-wise DOOM and Quake et al are really just
a modern version of Space Invaders, aren't they? And Tomb Raider proves that
I'm not totally mad for thinking this because, as anyone with an astute eye
may have noticed, we're talking Prince of Persia there, really, aren't we
(set to the backdrop of an Indiana Jones film :)? Just it has nicer graphics
and Ms.Croft has a big pair of guns, rather than a sword...hehehe ;)

The only problem I can think of might be that the original authors might
kick up a fuss about copyright...actually, would it be legally ok to take an
old computer game, totally re-write it from scratch using modern techniques
and release it public domain (i.e. not for profit...just for fun :)?

Beth :)

Fri, 27 Feb 2004 01:41:20 GMT
 VIRUS VIRUS VIRUS

Quote:

> > There is a file...it's a 653k attachment...obviously, Bill, either your
> > newsreader or ISP is not letting you see the attachment...but I can see
it
> > loud and clear, and looking at the filesize, he's probably right about
it
> > being a virus (but, basically, I'm not opening it to find out, so I
don't
> > know for a fact :)...

> 653K? that's big for a virus (smells suspicion of VB?)
> Well, anyway I don't see it! This could be one of two things...
> a) I'm infected, and it covered it's tracks well
> b) BTInterent have a pathetically {*filter*}NewsServer!

> Do you think you could e-mail it to me? (ZIP it first if possible?)
> Thanks, I'll see if I can work out what it does.

Actually, it _is_ a ZIP right now...if you look to the original Email, it
says something about it being a program to speed up your internet
connection...apparently, "mushhead" tried it or ran it through a virus
checker or something and spotted that it was actually infected with a
backdoor virus...

Strictly, "mushhead" should have put "RE: TROJAN TROJAN TROJAN" and not "RE:
VIRUS VIRUS VIRUS" but it's a commonly abused term...

And, sure, I'll don my protective safety gloves and slip the offending
article into an Email envelope for you for inspection (so long as I don't
get accused of spreading a trojan...but, anyway, you asked for it
specifically on public record, knowing exactly what it is...so, that's me
safe from being arrested or something silly like that...hehehe ;)...

Quote:
> > So, the warning is legitimate (I think :)...it just doesn't apply to you
> > because you can't see the attachment, is all...

> Yes but why would you post a virus, and warn everyone?
> Either:
> a) Don't post a {*filter*}y virus
> b) Tell everyone it's a really cool program they should try ;)

Actually, if you look to the post that has it attached (or not attached in
your case but it should have been attached :), then you'll see they were
trying strategy "b" and it's a trojan (well, that is, if mushhead is telling
the truth...and I'm not curious enough to find out, to be honest...but, if
you are, I'll pass it onto you :)

So, someone different to the virus poster issued the warning and it was "b"
they did...apparently, it's supposed to speed up your internet connection by
removing some ISP maximum speed thing or whatever (which, even if it is
legitimate, is probably something your ISP won't be happy with :)...

So, actually, I think mushhead deserves some praise for issuing the warning,
if it is a trojan...because here on the assembly group, we know better than
to open such an item and would treat it naturally with immense
suspicion...BUT, can the same be said of people on
"alt.landscape.architecture", who might not have all the computer skills
necessary to realise what's dangerous and what's not (and doubling your
internet speed, as the original post suggested would be a temptation for
lots of people :)?

Also, as it does seem to be following an alphabetical order in the
cross-post, it's likely that a robot's issuing these systematically and
probably to many groups...and, very sneakily, the post claims to speed up
"cable, DSL and ADSL" connections, which hints at trying to target the old
static IP crowd because, as discussed elsewhere, they are sitting ducks
(and, yes, dynamic IPs are not actually any safer but the point I'm making
here is that a thief generally goes for the easiest option and static IPs
are just that :) and if the user of those machines isn't sensible or
knowledgable enough to have put up decent defences, then they'll likely get
stung badly by such a trick...

Beth :)

Fri, 27 Feb 2004 02:14:31 GMT
 VIRUS VIRUS VIRUS
Beth, I have a question.  I've got an ADSL modem (256K, up -- 1.5M, down) --
(dynamic IP).  I've never run across anybody using a true DSL modem for Internet
access.  Do they exist, and, if so, who uses them?

Alan

Quote:
> "cable, DSL and ADSL" connections, which hints at trying to target the old
> static IP crowd because, as discussed elsewhere, they are sitting ducks
> (and, yes, dynamic IPs are not actually any safer but the point I'm making
> here is that a thief generally goes for the easiest option and static IPs
> are just that :) and if the user of those machines isn't sensible or
> knowledgeable enough to have put up decent defenses, then they'll likely get
> stung badly by such a trick...

> Beth :)

Fri, 27 Feb 2004 06:16:03 GMT
 VIRUS VIRUS VIRUS

Quote:
> Beth, I have a question.  I've got an ADSL modem (256K, up -- 1.5M, down) --
> (dynamic IP).  I've never run across anybody using a true DSL modem for Internet
> access.  Do they exist, and, if so, who uses them?

ADSL is a true DSL -- there are at least (in no particular order)
ADSL, SDSL and HDSL.  At our office, we use a 1.5 MBPS SDSL line
(SDSL = Symmetric DSL, meaning it's the same speed in both
directions).  SDSL usually use static IP addresses.

--
    Later,
    Jerry.

The Universe is a figment of its own imagination.

Fri, 27 Feb 2004 10:15:53 GMT

 [ 32 post ]  Go to page: [1] [2] [3]

2. bugabear virus and sweetadeline1 w32KlezEremovaltools virus

3. Virus/Test Virus wanted!

4. Help me get rid of this virus post has a virus in the post

5. Are Virus Protection Firms the Virus Coders !!

6. Virus Boot - Boot virus - help

7. Wounding a Virus......more "Fight a Virus with a Virus"

8. Virus Alert - Back on line after e-mail virus.

9. Is this a hoax virus or a real virus??

10. Gina Virus? NTHack? FTP Virus