Hardware keyboard handling... help needed
Author Message
 Hardware keyboard handling... help needed

Hi,
I want to use the keyboard directly through its hardware interruption.
It's the INT 9, which has no input data, and which fills a buffer at 40:1C
with the scancode of each keystroke.
Can anyone help me giving me the ASM x86 code to use it ? It has not worked
so far.
Could it work under the protected mode of Win9x ?
Can I access directly the address: 40:1C ? How can I do that ?
Thanks a lot,

Sun, 03 Nov 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Hardware keyboard handling... help needed

Quote:

> Hi,
> I want to use the keyboard directly through its hardware interruption.
> It's the INT 9, which has no input data, and which fills a buffer at 40:1C
> with the scancode of each keystroke.

The keyboard buffer you mention is used by BIOS. A custom IRQ1 ISR is
recommended instead.

Quote:
> Can anyone help me giving me the ASM x86 code to use it ? It has not worked
> so far.
> Could it work under the protected mode of Win9x ?

For PMode under Windows I recommend you to find DPMI specs.

Quote:
> Can I access directly the address: 40:1C ? How can I do that ?
> Thanks a lot,

Good Luck
Alexei A. Frounze
Homepage: http://alexfru.chat.ru
Mirror:   http://members.xoom.com/alexfru

Mon, 04 Nov 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Hardware keyboard handling... help needed

See Chapter 20 of the Art of Assembly (http://webster.cs.ucr.edu)
It's MASM code, but if you can figure out the A86 code to write
based on the description therein, I would be surprised.
Randy Hyde

Quote:

> Hi,
> I want to use the keyboard directly through its hardware interruption.
> It's the INT 9, which has no input data, and which fills a buffer at 40:1C
> with the scancode of each keystroke.
> Can anyone help me giving me the ASM x86 code to use it ? It has not
worked
> so far.
> Could it work under the protected mode of Win9x ?
> Can I access directly the address: 40:1C ? How can I do that ?
> Thanks a lot,

Mon, 04 Nov 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Hardware keyboard handling... help needed
Hello :)

Haven't posted in a while.
However, I am currently making pages in my book about keyboards
and buffers.

Well, in short.... I was looking over the File Server at the
The University of Oklahoma
Department of Computing and Telecommunications
ftp://ftp.simtel.net/pub/simtelnet/msdos/keyboard/

Read the long index of files found there for downloading:
ftp://ftp.simtel.net/pub/simtelnet/msdos/keyboard/00_index.txt

Wow what a find.... Lots of stuff including source files
for working with the keyboard and buffers.

Electronic Ed

Quote:

>Hi,
>I want to use the keyboard directly through its hardware interruption.
>It's the INT 9, which has no input data, and which fills a buffer at 40:1C
>with the scancode of each keystroke.
>Can anyone help me giving me the ASM x86 code to use it ? It has not worked
>so far.
>Could it work under the protected mode of Win9x ?
>Can I access directly the address: 40:1C ? How can I do that ?
>Thanks a lot,

Wed, 06 Nov 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. Hardware keyboard handling... help needed

2. HELP!!! I need help with keyboard INT

3. HELP!!! I need help with the keyboard INT

4. Need help with Hardware setup?

5. hardware/audio eng help needed

6. We need to know if hardware acceleration can help our VRML performance

7. Help! -- Need access to hardware

8. Need help accessing hardware

9. need help with keyboard hook

10. keyboard handler,... need a little help

11. CD-ROM and Keyboard led help needed

12. keyboard driver - need help!