UCR stdlib help
Author Message
 UCR stdlib help

Hello all,

I am working out of RH's AOA text book at the moment and have hit a road
block while trying to compile a program using the stdlib.  Wow, lucky I
didn't send that.  Had a flash of inspiration, and remembered I had
added .386 but forgotten to tell masm to use16 bit segments.  Okay, I
have another problem.  I am running masm 6.14 and when I try to compile
with debug info cvpack gives me the following errors:
CVPACK:  Warning ck4007: unrecognized option /x; option ignored
CVPACK : fatal error ck1005: invalid exucutable file.
Is there any way to correct this problem.  Is it because I am using a 32
bit linker.  Can I somehow execute this guy from devstudio (I have
msvc)?

TIA
-John

Tue, 05 Nov 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 UCR stdlib help

Quote:
> Hello all,

> I am working out of RH's AOA text book at the moment and have hit a road
> block while trying to compile a program using the stdlib.  Wow, lucky I
> didn't send that.  Had a flash of inspiration, and remembered I had
> added .386 but forgotten to tell masm to use16 bit segments.  Okay, I
> have another problem.  I am running masm 6.14 and when I try to compile
> with debug info cvpack gives me the following errors:
> CVPACK:  Warning ck4007: unrecognized option /x; option ignored
> CVPACK : fatal error ck1005: invalid exucutable file.
> Is there any way to correct this problem.  Is it because I am using a 32
> bit linker.  Can I somehow execute this guy from devstudio (I have
> msvc)?

> TIA
> -John

UCR Stdlib is 16-bit only.  You will need to use a 16-bit linker and
generate DOS exe files.

Note that many of the routines are relatively independent of size,
but would require, at least, a re-assembly to work in 32-bit mode.
Of course, all the code uses the 16-bit addressing modes so
it won't really be useful for 32-bit apps.

Somewhere around here there are some individuals busy concocting
a 32-bit standard library.  They will have to speak up since I've lost
the URL.

AoA and the UCR Stdlib are intended for 16-bit apps under DOS.
To support 32-bit apps I've written HLA (the High Level Assembler)
and the HLA Standard Library.  You might take a look at these
on Webster when you get a chance.

In the meantime, find yourself a 16-bit linker and use that when
assembling programs that use the UCR Standard Library.
Randy Hyde

Tue, 05 Nov 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 UCR stdlib help

Quote:
> Thanks,

> Actually I guess I was using a 16-bit linker, cause I can compile
and run it,
> after seeing I had forgotten to include use16 option, but cvpack
wasn't
> packing the debug info.  After searching through vc's bin
directory I saw it
> has a cvpack as well, so that's what was being called.  I did the
same thing I
> did with link and added a .m onto the name. Kinda a pain to
switch compilers
> but it ain't to bad, and I guess I will write a script, Prepare
[asm/c] that
> will rename the files for me.

An alternate way is to create a batch file that modifies your path
statement so that the 16 bit cvpack and linker are first in the
path.  Then it'll find them instead.  Dos always searches the
directories from left to right through the path statement and stops
when it finds a match.

I usually do this by creating a dos icon and putting the path to
that batch file in the batch file edit box on the program tab of
the icon, and then putting the directory I'm working in in the
working directory edit box of the icon.  Then I can click the icon,
go to dos all set up to do what I want to do.  I prefer to be in
dos or in a dos window during a session of working on a dos
program.   I usually make a seperate icon like this for each
project if I'm working on more than one.

This will only affect what you do in dos and won't change what
happens when youre using vc in windows so there's no need to change
file names back and forth.

Barry

Tue, 05 Nov 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. UCR STDLIB

2. two UCR Stdlib string functions don't assemble?!

3. Can't Access AoA at webster.cs.ucr.edu

4. UCR Library in MASM32?

5. UCR Standard lib

6. systems@cs.ucr.edu

7. UCR Standard Library, TASM makefile and build available

8. Can't Access AoA at webster.cs.ucr.edu

9. The UCR Standard Library and TASM

10. The UCR standard library and TASM

11. Other Assembly Resources at webster.ucr.edu