Reading from the BIOS data area
Author Message
 Reading from the BIOS data area

Can delphi pump out VxDs by any chance?  These guys can do anything.

Or you could use tricks with your inline asm to hit ring-0 and get access
from there.  Ring-0 is total freedom for your code.

Quote:

> >> could someone tell me how I can read data from the BIOS data area? I
> >> know very little assembler, but would like to read the LPTx base
> >> address with in-line assembler in Delphi. I know how to use the
> >> registers (*very* basic stuff), but haven't got a clue how to get to
> >> 0000:0408 to read the base address of the first parallel port present.

> >Delphi only makes Windows protected mode programs, which run in
> >virtual address space.  That is addresses in the program have nothing
> >at all to do with physical memory locations.  You can't do this from a
> >Delphi program.

> >If you want to find expert Delphi programming advice, go to
> > http://www.*-*-*.com/ 's
> >Delphi support groups.

> Thank you for the advice. I've already posted in a few Delphi groups,
> but nobody was able to help. I thought I might try it this way, but as
> I said before, I know little about programming.

> Thanks for your help,

> Tim.

--------------------------------------
Team2k PC/Palm Pilot Programming Team:
http://www.*-*-*.com/

To email me, remove '3*&' from my email address. This is to deter spam :)

Mon, 28 Oct 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Reading from the BIOS data area

wrote in alt.lang.asm:

Quote:
> Hi,

> could someone tell me how I can read data from the BIOS data area? I
> know very little assembler, but would like to read the LPTx base
> address with in-line assembler in Delphi. I know how to use the
> registers (*very* basic stuff), but haven't got a clue how to get to
> 0000:0408 to read the base address of the first parallel port present.

> Thanks in advance,

> Tim.

Delphi only makes Windows protected mode programs, which run in
virtual address space.  That is addresses in the program have nothing
at all to do with physical memory locations.  You can't do this from a
Delphi program.

If you want to find expert Delphi programming advice, go to
http://www.borland.com/newsgroups to find out how to post to Borland's
Delphi support groups.

Jack Klein
--
Home: http://jackklein.home.att.net

Tue, 29 Oct 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Reading from the BIOS data area
Sounds like a desperate situation.  I'd hate to recommend this, but you could
always have your Delphi program start up a seperate DOS program which yanks data
out of those addresses.  Then it could save that data to a file and then your
Delphi prog can then open that file and read it.....

Quote:

> >Can Delphi pump out VxDs by any chance?  These guys can do anything.

> >Or you could use tricks with your inline asm to hit ring-0 and get access
> >from there.  Ring-0 is total freedom for your code.

> Thanks, it's possible with Delphi, but I'm not really sure it's
> possible with me :-)
> The problem is that I need to have a working program within the week,
> afterwards I can 'clean up' my code (to work on all Windows platforms
> for instance). I know where to look for the proper addresses, I just
> don't know how and I was hoping it would have been possible this way.

> I have little experience and would like to get results. It's possible
> to get those values from the registry too, but fI've never done it
> before and I don't know where those values are stored *yet*.

> Thanks for your response!

> Tim.

> >> Thank you for the advice. I've already posted in a few Delphi groups,
> >> but nobody was able to help. I thought I might try it this way, but as
> >> I said before, I know little about programming.

> >> Thanks for your help,

> >> Tim.

> >--------------------------------------
> >Team2k PC/Palm Pilot Programming Team:
> >http://ppilot.homepage.com

> >To email me, remove '3*&' from my email address. This is to deter spam :)

--------------------------------------
Team2k PC/Palm Pilot Programming Team:
http://ppilot.homepage.com

To email me, remove '3*&' from my email address. This is to deter spam :)

Tue, 29 Oct 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. Reading from the BIOS data area

2. Read from BIOS data area

3. BIOS data area seem stop??

4. keyboard BIOS data area?

5. BIOS DATA area?

6. BIOS DATA area?

7. BIOS Data area?

8. Help with BIOS data area please??

9. MVS REXX - Looking for Pointer to Data Area IWMRQRY Answer Area

10. BIOS working area?

11. Accessing the BIOS NV areas.

12. Read VFP data files into Clipper data files