Available memory on a PC
Author Message
 Available memory on a PC

Has anyone please got a routine/set of routines in either C or Assember,
mix of the two on how to identify how much memory a PC has. I have looked
through many books. I can detect the number of EMS pages, the amount of
FREE XMS memory. All I want is total memory installed in the PC.

This is to be incorperated into a TSR.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as my hair is thinning by the day.

Bill Burey

Sun, 20 Dec 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Available memory on a PC

Has anyone please got a routine/set of routines in either C or Assember,
mix of the two on how to identify how much memory a PC has. I have looked
through many books. I can detect the number of EMS pages, the amount of
FREE XMS memory. All I want is total memory installed in the PC.

This is to be incorperated into a TSR.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as my hair is thinning by the day.

Bill Burey

Sun, 20 Dec 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Available memory on a PC

Quote:

> Has anyone please got a routine/set of routines in either C or Assember,
> mix of the two on how to identify how much memory a PC has. I have looked
> through many books. I can detect the number of EMS pages, the amount of
> FREE XMS memory. All I want is total memory installed in the PC.

> This is to be incorperated into a TSR.

> Any help would be greatly appreciated as my hair is thinning by the day.

> Bill Burey

Try int 12h and one of the 15h, dos4g use them to determine memory size

Tue, 22 Dec 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Available memory on a PC

Quote:

>Has anyone please got a routine/set of routines in either C or Assembe
>r,
>mix of the two on how to identify how much memory a PC has. I have loo
>ked
>through many books. I can detect the number of EMS pages, the amount o
>FREE XMS memory. All I want is total memory installed in the PC.

>This is to be incorperated into a TSR.

>Any help would be greatly appreciated as my hair is thinning by the da
>y.

>Bill Burey

I am looking at a book called "The PETER NORTON PC Programmer's Bible"

page #524...

        Interrupt       Input   Output
        12H             None    AX=memory size(KB)

page #536...

        15H             AH=88H  if CF=0,AX=extended
                                memory size(KB)

                                if CF=1,
                                AH=80H; invalid command

                                AH=86H; unsupported function

ISBN# 1-55615-555-7 (MicroSoft Press)

USA     $29.95
UK      L26.95
Canada  $39.95

Beau Schwabe

Thu, 24 Dec 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Available memory on a PC

Quote:
>> Has anyone please got a routine/set of routines in either C or Assember,
>> mix of the two on how to identify how much memory a PC has. I have looked
>> through many books. I can detect the number of EMS pages, the amount of
>> FREE XMS memory. All I want is total memory installed in the PC.

B> I am looking at a book called "The PETER NORTON PC Programmer's Bible"
B> page #524...
B>   Interrupt       Input   Output
B>   12H             None    AX=memory size(KB)

usually returns 640, unless BIOS allocated scratch area on top 1kB
or there is a bootsector virus on the computer.

B> page #536...
B>   15H             AH=88H  if CF=0,AX=extended
B>                           memory size(KB)

usually returns 0, unless you use no memory manager like HIMEM,
and no VDISK, or other program using extended memory.

B> ISBN# 1-55615-555-7 (MicroSoft Press)
B> USA       $29.95

I suppose it isn't worthy this money...

Mon, 28 Dec 1998 03:00:00 GMT

1. Memory limit << actual memory available

2. memory managers & APL2/PC

3. Memory usage under J 5.1 /386 (PC)

4. PC J using high memory

5. Down Memory Lane with APL on the PC

6. APL2/PC Memory Management

7. APL2/PC and memory in DOS/Windows

8. APL2/PC and memory managers

9. large physical memory access on a PC

10. AS400 PC Support memory problem ?

11. memory allocation in SCM on a PC

12. PC-Scheme in extended and/or expanded memory