Programming the MATH COPROCESSOR
Author Message
 Programming the MATH COPROCESSOR

I have been looking around for some kind of list, (similar to the intel
op-codes list) for math co-proccessor instructions. I have been
programming for a while in ASM but have never dealt with the math-co
before. I am wondering if such a list even exists and if using it to speed
up mathimatical operations is a worthwhile effort. Any help is
appreciated!

Tom

Sun, 08 Aug 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Programming the MATH COPROCESSOR

Quote:
> I have been looking around for some kind of list, (similar to the intel
> op-codes list) for math co-proccessor instructions. I have been
> programming for a while in ASM but have never dealt with the math-co
> before. I am wondering if such a list even exists and if using it to speed
> up mathimatical operations is a worthwhile effort. Any help is
> appreciated!

> Tom

These opcodes are included in most normal opcode lists. You can find these
lists on the WWW.
An answer to your second question is. Depends on what you want to do with
it. I'm new at it to, and I've been doing some research. In very specific
calculations, you can probably do better on your CPU than on your FPU.
But if you need to have a real flexible program, you should use you FPU.
Also, if you do a lot of operations, with the same few numbers, you should
use your FPU. You take all the number into the FPU, and let it calculate.
While it performs a multi clock-tick operation, you can let you CPU do
parts of a screen refresh. Parallel-processing!
But all in all, it all comes down to how good you code. I've seen CPU only
Mandelbrot programs outrun Mandelbrots that did use an FPU. Producing the
same image.
But that was all probably more than you wanted to know.

Dries van Oosten

Eat any good books lately.

Mon, 09 Aug 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. Uncommon Math Functions on a Math-Coprocessor

2. Uncommon Math Functions on a Math-Coprocessor

3. Intel 8087 Math coprocessor datasheet?

4. Performing exp with 80387 math coprocessor

5. QUESTION!: Detection of 80x37 math coprocessor on motherboard.

6. Disabling math-coprocessor on 486

7. Intel 8087 Math coprocessor datasheet?

8. FPU (math coprocessor)

9. Math coprocessor IRQ 13?

10. Math coprocessor

11. Math-CoProcessor fsin, fsincos