Quick Format, HOW?
Author Message
 Quick Format, HOW?

Hello,

 I was just formating a disk, and I used the famous /q switch. Nothing big of
course. Anyhow, I figure that this works by simply wiping the FAT to being
empty, as well as the root dir entries. Am I correct in this notion? Also, if
this is true... what exactly must be writen where? e.g:

 a dup of 512 bytes of 0 - sector 22

or whatever it may be. Thanks for your help ahead of time, I am wanting to
write a small, and very quick 'format' utility, which would be childs play, if
I knew what to write where.

c'ya

TP

Wed, 13 Feb 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Quick Format, HOW?
It's only a little more complicated than this. The quick format copies track
0 (both sides) to track 80, if possible. This obviously requires that the
81st track (track 80 itself) be accessible and writeable on the disk.

The FAT isn't exactly wiped, it's set to the 'available' value (F6). And
remember that the disk label is a directory entry.

Flint

Quote:
>Hello,

> I was just formating a disk, and I used the famous /q switch. Nothing big
of
>course. Anyhow, I figure that this works by simply wiping the FAT to being
>empty, as well as the root dir entries. Am I correct in this notion? Also,
if
>this is true... what exactly must be writen where? e.g:

> a dup of 512 bytes of 0 - sector 22

>or whatever it may be. Thanks for your help ahead of time, I am wanting to
>write a small, and very quick 'format' utility, which would be childs play,
if
>I knew what to write where.

>c'ya

>TP

Wed, 13 Feb 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Quick Format, HOW?
the f6 value, is it like so:

F6 FF FF
dup(0) -  509 bytes

as I know that a clean fat looks as such:

0F FF FF 00 00 ...

hrmm..or am I wrong here?

Thu, 14 Feb 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. Quick: Format Specs in %

2. routine to convert date format 0CYYDDDF to format DD/MM/YY or DDMMYY

3. Format of a TSO XMIT format dataset

4. Joaquin's formatted messages and the end of formatting

5. format specifiers in format string param.

6. More format bugs (was format(1/2,1,1,,0)

7. conversion of .dxf format to vrml 2.0 format

8. translate code in TASM format to MASM format

9. MSBIN float format <-> IEEE float format

10. translate code in TASM format to MASM format

11. difference between highlevel format and lowlevel format?

12. EDIF format to BLIF format..