ASCIIZ
Author Message
 ASCIIZ

Can anybody out there explain me what a 'ASCIIZ filename' is. Is it the
same as a normal string  ??

Wed, 23 Dec 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 ASCIIZ

Quote:

>Can anybody out there explain me what a 'ASCIIZ filename' is. Is it the
>same as a normal string  ??

   ASCIIZ stands for 'ascii string terminated with a zero byte'.  So,
if you wanted to specify a filename of 'filename.ext' as an ASCIIZ
filename, in MASM you would say:

fname   db      "filename.ext",0

   That's all there is to it.

   I hope this helps...

   Jim Neil

Wed, 23 Dec 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 ASCIIZ

: Can anybody out there explain me what a 'ASCIIZ filename' is. Is it the
: same as a normal string  ??

   An ASCIIZ string is an ASCII string plus a binary zero. The zero
 is used by programs to identify the end of the ASCII string.

Wed, 23 Dec 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 ASCIIZ

Quote:

> Can anybody out there explain me what a 'ASCIIZ filename' is. Is it the
> same as a normal string  ??

It's just a normal string terminated with the NULL character (ASCII
character 0).

Thu, 24 Dec 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 ASCIIZ

Quote:
>Can anybody out there explain me what a 'ASCIIZ filename' is. Is it the
>same as a normal string  ??

I was some time ago I did this, but if I remember correctly, it's like this:

ASCIIZ stands for ASCII-ZERO, this is, an ASCII string followed by the
value zero. This is how C-"strings" are built, by the way... (Probably
no coincidence...)

/Mats

Fri, 25 Dec 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 ASCIIZ

Quote:
> Can anybody out there explain me what a 'ASCIIZ filename' is. Is it the
> same as a normal string  ??

It is the same, except it is terminated by an '0'
ASCIIZ = American Standard Code for Information Interchange + Zero
Example:

normal string: 'hello.txt'
asciiz string: 'hello.txt',0

get it ?

   _______________   _________  ______________________________________________
  /  ____/  ___/ /  / /  ____/ / _____________  _____________________________/
 /___   /  /__/ /__/ /  / ____/ / scut/nm 96 /_________ meet me at IRC #scut

Fri, 25 Dec 1998 03:00:00 GMT

1. ASCIIZ limits

2. ASCIIZ limmits in Function declaration

3. ASCIIZ strings in Forth

4. about floats and ASCIIZ

5. ASCIIZ string (TASM)

6. ASCIIZ

7. ASCIIZ number to Hex

8. Read ASCIIZ (Null-terminated) string from a file handle?