sub-functions on int21h ?
Author Message
 sub-functions on int21h ?

Greetings Y'All.

There are a number of routines of int21h that not only use
the whole of the ax register but also have ''sub-functions''.

SO, question is ....HOW do you call a specific sub-function ?

(use bx as well ?? )

Regards to all.
Paul

Fri, 11 Jan 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 sub-functions on int21h ?

   >There are a number of routines of int21h that not only use
   >the whole of the ax register but also have ''sub-functions''.
   >SO, question is ....HOW do you call a specific sub-function ?
   >(use bx as well ?? )

Uh...no.  You have to load the appropriate registers with the ap-
propriate values -- both of which will vary, depending upon the
particular function you're calling.

You need an interrupt list which outlines all this stuff for you.
I like THEREF, but most folks on this newsgroup seem to prefer
Ralf Brown's Interrupt List.  Snag it at:

   http://www.ctype.com/rbrown.htm
   or http://www.pobox.com/~ralf

Return address is mangled to foil spambots. Remove all "g"s to e-mail.

Net-Tamer V 1.08X - Test Drive

Fri, 11 Jan 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 sub-functions on int21h ?

Quote:
> Greetings Y'All.

> There are a number of routines of int21h that not only use
> the whole of the ax register but also have ''sub-functions''.

> SO, question is ....HOW do you call a specific sub-function ?

> (use bx as well ?? )

> Regards to all.
> Paul

depends on the function.
get ralph brown's interrupt list for a complete listing of how to call
a interrupt function and all its subfuctions.

fg

Fri, 11 Jan 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 sub-functions on int21h ?

Quote:

> Greetings Y'All.

> There are a number of routines of int21h that not only use
> the whole of the ax register but also have ''sub-functions''.

> SO, question is ....HOW do you call a specific sub-function ?

> (use bx as well ?? )

> Regards to all.
> Paul

Get Ralf Brown's Interrupt List.  It will enlighten you ! :-)

  http://www.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs/user/ralf/pub/WWW/files.html

Greetz,
  Rudy Wieser

Fri, 11 Jan 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 sub-functions on int21h ?

: Ralf Brown....

Thats exactly where I've read what I want to use

A function of Novell v4.xx that has an INT21h
that has a full ax register for the main service but ALSO
uses a   /sf=??  ( a number i cant remember right now )

bye
paul

Fri, 11 Jan 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 sub-functions on int21h ?
: There are a number of routines of int21h that not only use
: the whole of the ax register but also have ''sub-functions''.
: SO, question is ....HOW do you call a specific sub-function ?
: (use bx as well ?? )
:

A follow up to explain what I would like to learn "why"/"how"

[extract from R.B listing....]
[p.s. Thank *_YOU_* Mr. brown for all of the work to make this list]

Int 21/AX=F215h/SF=03h - Novell NetWare - ENABLE BROADCASTS
Int 21/AX=F215h/SF=08h - Novell NetWare - CHECK PIPE STATUS
Int 21/AX=F215h/SF=09h - Novell NetWare - BROADCAST TO CONSOLE
Int 21/AX=F215h/SF=0Bh - Novell NetWare - GET BROADCAST MESSAGE
Int 21/AX=F216h/SF=00h - Novell NetWare - SET DIRECTORY HANDLE
...and many more....

FULL AX is used but there is STILL anoher sub-function AS WELL.

HOW do you select a SUB-FUNCTION when ALL of AX is already used ?

BX/EAX/DX ??

REGARDS (again)
Paul

*** remove   nospam for real address
*** I used to be on packet but i'm alright now.

Sat, 12 Jan 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 sub-functions on int21h ?

Quote:

> : There are a number of routines of int21h that not only use
> : the whole of the ax register but also have ''sub-functions''.
> : SO, question is ....HOW do you call a specific sub-function ?
. . .
> Int 21/AX=F215h/SF=03h - Novell NetWare - ENABLE BROADCASTS

  Read those sections of the RB list a little more carefully
and you will see that your answer is there.

  DS:SI points to the "request buffer" and the sub-function
is the byte at offset 2 of the request buffer.

  This method of passing the subfunction is used in a large
number of the Novell interrupts.  It is not a universal
answer to your question:

Quote:
> HOW do you select a SUB-FUNCTION when ALL of AX is already used ?

There are other methods used in other interrupts.
--
http://www.erols.com/johnfine/
http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Peaks/8600/

Sat, 12 Jan 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 sub-functions on int21h ?

: > Int 21/AX=F215h/SF=03h - Novell NetWare - ENABLE BROADCASTS
:
:   Read those sections of the RB list a little more carefully
: and you will see that your answer is there.
:
:   DS:SI points to the "request buffer" and the sub-function
: is the byte at offset 2 of the request buffer.
:
:   This method of passing the subfunction is used in a large
: number of the Novell interrupts.  It is not a universal
: answer to your question:
:
: > HOW do you select a SUB-FUNCTION when ALL of AX is already used ?
:
: There are other methods used in other interrupts.
: --

And it came to pass that a GREAT LIGHT did shine upon those in the dark!!!

And those who had been in the dark did wonder how something soo obvious
did miss their gaze.

And much head scratching did stop.

And Thanks was given to John S. Fine for his guidance.

4c00h
21h

Mon, 14 Jan 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. sub-functions on int21h ?

2. Int21h, Function 440Dh, minor function 6Fh detecting SCSI drives

3. *nix INT21h-esque functions

4. Function sub() help wanted

5. Are events slower than normal subs/functions?

6. Subs vs Functions PB 3.2

7. q: referrung to a variable in a sub or function

8. sub function

9. array in a sub or function

10. exporting functions/subs from fortran?

11. Is there a way to access/modify/add variables to caller from a sub function

12. How do you do sub routine type function?