TASM Documentation
Author Message
 TASM Documentation

I Need to study Tasm for for an university exam, where can I find some
documentation?
The profs says to search it on the net but I cannot find any docs...
Best Regards
Kirys

Brayan Fix Kirys Solfory

For Free Software go to: http://www.*-*-*.com/

Sat, 16 Feb 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 TASM Documentation

   >I Need to study Tasm for for an university exam, where can I find
   >some documentation?
   >The profs says to search it on the net but I cannot find any docs...

Your prof is obviously a lazy, incompetent idiot.

Any university professor who requires that students be tested on a particular
subject -- yet doesn't provide them with a definite source for obtaining the
study material -- should, at the very least, be boiled in his own pudding.
Or strung up by his gonads.

May he find himself strapped to a belching, syphilitic Eskimo {*filter*} who
just finished consuming a meal of walrus blintzes.

Sat, 16 Feb 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 TASM Documentation
Has the word "Search Engine" ever come to mind?

RimSHoT49

Sat, 16 Feb 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 TASM Documentation
   Hi,

     Just for the heck of it I ran a search on a few search engines using
only the keyword 'TASM', and the least amount of documents I found at any
one search engine was over 3000 (on Altavista).   Here is a promising
looking URL I found there:

www.clearancesale.cx/168122.html
   TASM Lab was the name of this site, and it said it had tons of info...

     If this doesnt help, I can assure you that Altavista, Lycos, E{*filter*},
Yahoo and several other major search engines have LOTS of documents about
TASM which will show up with a mere 'TASM' keyword search.   I know this
because I just searched with thousands of results (tens of thousands at some
engines).   Go to any search engine and try a search, TASM is one of the
most well known assemblers around.

SK

Sat, 16 Feb 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 TASM Documentation

Quote:
> Any university professor who requires that students be tested on a
particular
> subject -- yet doesn't provide them with a definite source for obtaining
the
> study material -- should, at the very least, be boiled in his own pudding.
> Or strung up by his gonads.

     I might agree except for the fact that if someone cannot find
information about TASM on the net, they probably do not deserve to pass any
programming course.   Not that TASM is necessarily related to all
programming, but problem solving certainly is, and finding TASM information
on the internet is a rather minor problem to solve when compared to the
problems one will face when programming in the real world.   Even if one
knows the syntax of a language by heart, unless they can solve problems by
utilising that language, they will never be a programmer.
     In fact, I would not doubt that the reason why this professor
formulated this requirement in this way was to force his or her students to
solve a problem without having their hand held all the way through.   If
this is so, I'd find it to be commendable.   Especially these days, when
people are treated like children for the most part and are allowed to act
like children as well.   I am not surprised anymore when I run into a
college graduate who is unable to balance their checkbook or stick to a
budget, though it blew my mind the first time I encountered such a thing.
     I'm not sure that an instructor at the college level should have to
supply all of the information necessary to learn, as long as what they do
not supply is easily found.   This instructor gave an excellent source, the
internet.   I've never dealt with a problem in which I was supplied all the
resources I needed, and isnt college supposed to prepare one for real world
experiences?   In the real world, not only are sources for information not
usually supplied, but sometimes there is no source at all and one needs to
develop the knowledge by utilising whatever information they can find.
Isnt that one of the reasons for this newsgroup?   To allow people to work
together, each learning what they can and teaching what they know?
     I also feel that this student has started on the path towards the
source well, having asked in a newsgroup.   It may not have been the way I
would have started, but it is a reasonable and legal place to look since
newsgroups are part of the internet and the student was told to search the
internet.   This is not to say that this source will bear fruit, but it is
certainly within the bounds of the allowed area to search.   In fact, this
student might be commended for attempting to acquire the information more
easily than by culling the websites which promise information they do not
deliver, and asking someplace where the student might find a good resource
more quickly and easily than classmates.

SK

Sat, 16 Feb 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 TASM Documentation
:      Just for the heck of it I ran a search on a few search engines using
: only the keyword 'TASM', and the least amount of documents I found at any
: one search engine was over 3000 (on Altavista).   Here is a promising
: looking URL I found there:

: www.clearancesale.cx/168122.html
:    TASM Lab was the name of this site, and it said it had tons of info...

hah.. that link leads to:

CLICK HERE
   TO FIND WHAT YOU ARE LOOKING FOR
   CLICK HERE
   FOR BEST NEWS, SPORT, CREDIT & FINANCE
   CLICK HERE
   FOR {*filter*} ENTERTAINMENT
   Please note you must be over 18 to enter

                            [banner.gif]-Submit

worthless. :P

Sun, 17 Feb 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 TASM Documentation

Quote:

> hah.. that link leads to:

> CLICK HERE
>    TO FIND WHAT YOU ARE LOOKING FOR
>    CLICK HERE
>    FOR BEST NEWS, SPORT, CREDIT & FINANCE
>    CLICK HERE
>    FOR {*filter*} ENTERTAINMENT
>    Please note you must be over 18 to enter

>                             [banner.gif]-Submit

> worthless. :P

     Maybe it's just me, but I find that hilarious.   Only in the
Information Age could things get so confused.   Anyway, sorry I was of no
help and I hope that you find what you need.   If worse comes to worst read
Jeff Duntemann's book 'Assembly Language:  Step By Step' and you can learn
the basic syntax for TASM at least (NOTE:  It does not cover TASM in full or
in detail, only what is needed to start using it).
     Good luck!!!

SK

Sun, 17 Feb 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 TASM Documentation

Quote:
>If worse comes to worst read
> Jeff Duntemann's book 'Assembly Language:  Step By Step' and you can learn
> the basic syntax for TASM at least (NOTE:  It does not cover TASM in full
or
> in detail, only what is needed to start using it).

Here Here!
I love Duntemann's book. It's fantastic. JD is a fine teacher. Witty and
comprehensive. Good analagies, (unlike some of the latest books from SAMS,
"OOP is like beer..." dear oh dear)  In particular his description of the
stack is the best I've ever seen. If this book is still in print then I
suggest you buy it at once, unfortunatly it was written in about '92 so it's
a little unlikey :( Try to back this up with ZEN of Assembly by Mike Abrash.
Sadly this is definately out of print, but I think amazon.com will still try
to get a copy for you.

Oh yeah, and if you can get Borland's C++ Builder you get TASM32 and TLINK32
with help files. Trouble is that OBJ files generated with DOS code will not
compile with TLINK32, but just about any DOS linker will understand it's OBJ
files anyway. I use a TASM32 + MS Linker circa 1988 :)

Sat, 23 Feb 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 TASM Documentation
   Hi Matt,

     Yeah, Mr Duntemann brought me from wanting to program to programming
(albeit not all that well), mostly due to the fact that he is a writer first
and a programmer second (I don't know why people think that if they know
something they can automatically teach it).   Mr Duntemann's book is
definately still in print (with Coriolis Group, which Mr Duntemann started
or co-started or something), I know because I'm a newbie who bought his book
a couple/few months ago.
     In case anyone is interested (which I bet some people are), Micheal
Abrash has written another book, 'Micheal Abrash's Graphics Programming
Black Book Special Edition', which includes the entire text of both Zen
books (I think the earlier one is mostly on the CD-ROM which accompanies the
book, but whatever).   It also has all or most of his Dr Dobb's Journal
articles and all sorts of other info and articles he wrote.   It is fairly
cheap, 50 or 60 bucks from Coriolis.   Here is the URL to buy it:
  http://www.coriolis.com/bookstore/bookdetail.cfm?id=1576101746
     I consider that pretty inexpensive for a 1500 page book with info I've
been searching for in used bookstores for a while, plus all sorts of new
stuff!
     Anyway, thought I'd toss the info out here since quite a few people
here have mentioned wanting it.

Regards,
SK

Sat, 23 Feb 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 TASM Documentation

Quote:
>      In case anyone is interested (which I bet some people are), Micheal
> Abrash has written another book, 'Micheal Abrash's Graphics Programming
> Black Book Special Edition', which includes the entire text of both Zen

     Sorry, not that new (new to me, though).

SK

Sat, 23 Feb 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 TASM Documentation

Quote:
> >(NOTE:  It does not cover TASM in full or
> > in detail, only what is needed to start using it).

     I believe that the original question here was about TASM
manuals/documentation, so I thought I'd post that I noticed a post from
somebody selling books such as that on alt.msdos.programmers.   There were
also some other interesting titles for programmers (mostly just C/C++ stuff,
but there were also some out of print goodies in their post).   I don't know
the person who is selling the books, nor if they are legit, so please do not
consider this an endor{*filter*}t of their products or services.

list the individual books they offered since I think that's more appropriate
in private correspondence.

Sun, 24 Feb 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 TASM Documentation

Quote:
>      In case anyone is interested (which I bet some people are), Micheal
> Abrash has written another book, 'Micheal Abrash's Graphics Programming
> Black Book Special Edition', which includes the entire text of both Zen
> books (I think the earlier one is mostly on the CD-ROM which accompanies
the
> book, but whatever).

Curiously enough I was just trying to get hold a copy of that today. But
Amazon don't stock it and Waterstones charge close to 60 for it :( If
anyone knows anywhere I can get it cheap in the UK I would love to know
about it.

Sun, 24 Feb 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. TASM or TASM?

2. TASM to NASM and/or NASM to TASM

3. TASM 3 / MMX instructions CMPXCHG ORG

4. TASM HELP - please!!!

5. Help: Need TASM 4.0

6. Borland C/C++ 4.5 and TASM

7. Looking for Mastering TASM by TOm Swan

8. TASM.EXE

9. TASM to MASM conversion help needed!

10. Tasm and TopSpeed

11. Linking TopSpeed M2 to TASM librarie

12. Linking TopSpeed M2 to TASM libraries