GForce2 Video card programming with HLA ?
Author Message
 GForce2 Video card programming with HLA ?

Hi All,

Can I use HLA to program my video card ?

I need to use HLA to do things like set
the video mode, draw lines and pixels, access
the cards memory etc.

After I learn HLA, What additional information
will I need to program my video card ?

Should/Can I use DirectX or OpenGL from HLA ?
If so how/where can I get doc's on how to do stuff like that ?

Or should I try to program the NVIDIA chip directly using its
BIOS ?

Where can I find doc's for this kind of stuff ?

Is there any advantages in programming video using HLA/assembly
Or should I just use C++ and DirectX ?

Thank you,

I'm new to HLA and assembly

Thanks,

Sat, 30 Oct 2004 16:47:33 GMT
 GForce2 Video card programming with HLA ?

Quote:

>Hi All,

>Can I use HLA to program my video card ?

Assuming you're working under Windows or Linux,
sure.  HLA doesn't run under DOS and I don't believe
you can produce DOS code with it (it may be possible
to use a DOS extender, but I've never looked into this).

Quote:

>I need to use HLA to do things like set
>the video mode, draw lines and pixels, access
>the cards memory etc.

Since HLA provides all the normal instructions (as well
as some high level stuff), just about anything you can do
with any other assembler can be done with HLA.
However.... (keep reading).

Quote:

>After I learn HLA, What additional information
>will I need to program my video card ?

(keep reading...)

Quote:
>Should/Can I use DirectX or OpenGL from HLA ?
>If so how/where can I get doc's on how to do stuff like that ?

Since you're most likely using Windows or Linux, which take
a dim view of software directly controlling the hardware, you
basically have no choice but to use one of these API systems.

As for the docs, the current way to figure this stuff out is a two-step
process: (1) learn how to do it in C/C++ (which matches the
existing documentation, then (2) learn out to translate the
C/C++ information into a form suitable for assembly programmers.

Quote:
>Or should I try to program the NVIDIA chip directly using its
>BIOS ?

No, no, no!
It just won't work under Windows or Linux that way
(actually, this is not true for Linux since you can always use the
IOPL system call to relax the protection, but the program would
have to be run in superuser mode...).

Quote:

>Where can I find doc's for this kind of stuff ?

There are several tutorials on the net that describe how to do
certain things in assembly language;  though most of the documentation
involves MASM32 at this point (rather than HLA).

I'm rushing to finish up HLA v1.38 (64/128 bit support in the Standard
Library [to match the support the compiler provided as of v1.37]
plus a host of bug fixes).  Once that's done, I've got to finish Chapter
Four
in my "Linux Device Drivers in Assembly Language" text.  Immediately
after that I'm going to return to a project that's been on hold for the past
year while I've gotten HLA up to{*filter*}-- Windows Programming in Assembly
Language.  As those chapters start appearing, you'll see how to make
the various Win32 API calls (e.g., DirectX) from assembly.  The text
won't be complete any time soon, but the first several chapters should
provide enough of a template that you can easily translate the other
C/C++ stuff yourself.

Quote:
>Is there any advantages in programming video using HLA/assembly
>Or should I just use C++ and DirectX ?

There are some.  However, the best solution would probably be to
write the majority of your code in C++ and write the time critical functions
in HLA (and link those into your C++ code).  I personally have not used
DirectX, but it seems to be the right way to go if you're using Windows.
(actually, it seems to be the only reasonable choice if you're using
Windows, but others can debate this issue since I'm not qualified to
do so).

Quote:
>I'm new to HLA and assembly

Well, the good news is that it will take you a while to get adjusted to
assembly (to the point you're writing better machine code than the
compiler produces), so that will give me some time to get the first
three or four chapter of my Windows text ready :-)

Seriously, though, the journey is worth it.  So keep your nose to the
grindstone.

Randy Hyde

Sat, 30 Oct 2004 23:43:45 GMT
 GForce2 Video card programming with HLA ?

Quote:

> Hi All,

> Can I use HLA to program my video card ?

> I need to use HLA to do things like set
> the video mode, draw lines and pixels, access
> the cards memory etc.

> After I learn HLA, What additional information
> will I need to program my video card ?

Things that you've described probably require a regular assemly, not
HLA - since it was intended for Windows. If this is an option, you'll
have to pick up a good video card programming doc.
As for Windows, you generally able to draw, but you cannot access
video memory in the common (means documented) way.

Quote:
> Should/Can I use DirectX or OpenGL from HLA ?
> If so how/where can I get doc's on how to do stuff like that ?

Yes, you can. Generally it's an only option.
For OpenGL demos for OpenGL in assembly see
http://romka.demonews.com/opengl/demos/asm_eng.htm

Quote:
> Or should I try to program the NVIDIA chip directly using its
> BIOS ?

Not BIOS, but direct port programming. It would be availabe only under
DOS. If you like this, check http://developer.nvidia.com - they had a
full docs on programming their hardware up to GF256. (you'll have to
search their archives, since the doc was released some years ago)

Quote:
> Where can I find doc's for this kind of stuff ?

Mentioned above. These URLs would be sufficient to start. :)

Quote:
> Is there any advantages in programming video using HLA/assembly
> Or should I just use C++ and DirectX ?

Depends... There ARE big advantages in programming video in assembly
under DOS. For Windows you'd better use C/C++ with OpenGL/DirectX,
implemented only math stuff in assembly (as matrix operations, etc.)

Sun, 31 Oct 2004 15:07:35 GMT
 GForce2 Video card programming with HLA ?

Quote:

> So keep your nose to the grindstone.

Ouch! Sounds painful...hehehe :)

Beth :)

Mon, 01 Nov 2004 11:33:15 GMT

1. GForce2 video card programming with HLA ?

2. PCI Video Cards and ISA Video Cards

3. PCI Video Cards and ISA Video Cards

4. Programming VGA VIDEO CARD

5. Video Card Programming

6. Programming Vga video card

7. Programming the Diamond Stealth 64 VRAM video card (S3 Vision 964)

8. Writing Compact HLA Programs (Taking Complete Control in HLA)

9. video card problems

10. Problems with video cards with Win95

11. ATI Mach64 Video Cards

12. 25x132 columns with any video card ?