Compiler choice?
Author Message
 Compiler choice?

What's the best assembly compiler to buy?  So far all I have found is
Turbo Assembler and A86 (ick).

                                                Miles Thomason

Mon, 21 Dec 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Compiler choice?

Quote:

> What's the best assembly compiler to buy?  So far all I have found is
> Turbo Assembler and A86 (ick).

>                                                 Miles Thomason

A86 is not enough to make a complete project; it depends if you want to
make 'some tries' or write something.
There are Tasm, Masm and Wasm (from watcom).
As always microsoft's product (Masm) is the worst  : it's slooooooow (as
usual) but consume less memory because all these asm work in
conventional mem (it's so stupid)
wasm is slower than tasm too.

Tue, 22 Dec 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Compiler choice?

     Well, this kinda violates the terms of this newsgroup (no flames),
but I'll post anyway.  Here's the good thing about four major assemblers:

TASM - I think this is technically the best, but it's hard to find, and if
you don't buy directly from Borland, it's expensive.  I also hear that it
has poor documentation.  I think it's fully compatible with MASM, or at
least up to some older version (3.0?)

MASM - I think this one is slightly inferior to TASM, but I've heard the
documentation is better than TASM's.  It's also expensive, even if you buy
it directly from MS.

A86 - The best thing that this one has going for it is that it's cheap (I
think $50 is the registration price).  It also has a shareware version.  I
don't know much about this one since the last version of it I had could
only do 286 operations, but I'm fairly sure this has improved.

WASM - Watcom's assembler comes with Watcom's C++ package, which I think
is the best (game) development package for DOS in existance.  It comes
with DOS4/GW, too.  I don't think you can buy it seperately.  This one's
great if you want to do some DOS games, but otherwise it's basically
worthless.

Well, I tried not to be biased, but I think the best overall is TASM (but
I'm not fortunate enough to own it).

Tue, 22 Dec 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Compiler choice?

R> TASM - I think this is technically the best, but it's hard to find, and if
R> you don't buy directly from Borland, it's expensive.  I also hear that it
R> has poor documentation.  I think it's fully compatible with MASM, or at
R> least up to some older version (3.0?)

With 5.1; freeware ARROWASM is MASM 3.0 compatible.
(the ARROWASM can be found in VALARROW package on SIMTEL)

Wed, 23 Dec 1998 03:00:00 GMT

1. Compiler choice

2. Assembly optimization, compiler choice, Athlon

3. FORTRAN .NET Compiler Choice?

4. The FORTRAN-Compiler of Choice

5. What choice : linux-i386 fortran compiler

6. Compiler Optimized Choice

7. Choice of Smalltalk platform?

8. DB choices?

9. Symbol Choices in J and APL/!