Environmental variables in MASM 6.11d setup
Author Message
 Environmental variables in MASM 6.11d setup

I am setting up MASM 6.11d on Windows 95 and running out of environmental
space.  I cannot seem to install the proper defaults in my autoexec.bat
because I am already running VC++ 4.2 and MSFT fortran 4.0.

Can anyone offer a suggestion on how to expand my environmental space?
I had thought to reinstall MASM611 as d:\M to shorten the namespace
required, but I am hoping there is a better solution.

Stephen

Wed, 17 Mar 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Environmental variables in MASM 6.11d setup

Quote:
>I am setting up MASM 6.11d on Windows 95 and running out of environmental
>space.  I cannot seem to install the proper defaults in my autoexec.bat
>because I am already running VC++ 4.2 and MSFT FORTRAN 4.0.
>Can anyone offer a suggestion on how to expand my environmental space?
>I had thought to reinstall MASM611 as d:\M to shorten the namespace
>required, but I am hoping there is a better solution.
>Stephen

I'm not sure that this is what you are getting at, but when you say
you are running out of environment space, do you mean as a result of
the items being added to your autoexec.bat?

If this is the case, then there is a simple solution:
Look into your config.sys file and you should see a line something
like this:
SHELL=C:\COMMAND.COM C:\ /P

This statement is present in your config.sys file to tell the computer
where the command.com you are running is located.
Note: it may not be present if the command.com is in the root
directory of C: (and if not just put it in).

To solve the problem, you need to enlarge your command.com environment
space. The switch is: /E:xxxx, where xxxx is the size of your
environment space (I think the default is 512).
Mine is set as follows:
SHELL=C:\COMMAND.COM C:\ /P /E:1536

This gives me plenty of space for environment variables, and also
allows me to run large batch programs.

Hope that helps.

Fri, 19 Mar 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. Environmental variables in MASM 6.11d setup

2. Help!!! with MS MASM 6.11d

3. HELP: Get MASM 6.11d working

4. Building NT Sample in MASM 6.11d

5. MASM 6.11d linker question...