ANNOUNCE: The Netwide Assembler Project 0.90 release
Author Message
 ANNOUNCE: The Netwide Assembler Project 0.90 release

ANNOUNCE: Release of version 0.90 of the Netwide Assembler (NASM)

NASM is an 80x86 assembler designed for portability and modularity.
It supports a range of object file formats including Linux a.out and
ELF, COFF, Microsoft 16-bit OBJ and Win32. It will also output plain
binary files. Its syntax is designed to be simple and easy to
understand, similar to Intel's but less complex. It supports Pentium
and P6 opcodes. It includes a disassembler as well.

NASM grew out of a discussion on comp.lang.asm.x86 a year or two
ago, and has been gradually growing for a while. Prototype versions
have been available from various obscure ftp sites for over a year,
but 0.90 is the first version sufficiently close to production
quality to be posted to major sites.

NASM is available in Unix .tar.gz format as

  ftp://sunsite.unc.edu/pub/Linux/apps/assemblers/nasm-0.90.tar.gz

and as a DOS archive from the Coast to Coast Repository (Simtel) as

  ftp://ftp.coast.net/coast/msdos/a{*filter*}il/nasmb090.zip
  ftp://ftp.coast.net/coast/msdos/a{*filter*}il/nasms090.zip

(the latter version includes sources; the former is binaries-only).
Of course these files are also available from any site, such as
sunsite.doc.ic.ac.uk, which mirrors sunsite.unc.edu or Simtel.

Please avoid downloading nasm090.zip or nasm090s.zip from Simtel
mirrors, as they contain a disabling bug.

Enjoy using NASM!
--

_> ------------    Trinity College, Cambridge, CB2 1TQ, England

Tue, 06 Apr 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 ANNOUNCE: The Netwide Assembler Project 0.90 release

Quote:

> ANNOUNCE: Release of version 0.90 of the Netwide Assembler (NASM)
> NASM is available in Unix .tar.gz format as
>   ftp://sunsite.unc.edu/pub/Linux/apps/assemblers/nasm-0.90.tar.gz

It isn't there... nor on sunsite.doc.ic.ac.uk.

Quote:
> and as a DOS archive from the Coast to Coast Repository (Simtel) as

No public access there...

Tue, 06 Apr 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 ANNOUNCE: The Netwide Assembler Project 0.90 release

Quote:

> >   ftp://sunsite.unc.edu/pub/Linux/apps/assemblers/nasm-0.90.tar.gz
> It isn't there... nor on sunsite.doc.ic.ac.uk.

Oh, _damn_. Sorry. You're right. It's in /pub/Linux/devel/lang/asm -
there was some confusion on that point. I don't believe I did that.
Sorry again.
--

_> ------------    Trinity College, Cambridge, CB2 1TQ, England

Tue, 06 Apr 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 ANNOUNCE: The Netwide Assembler Project 0.90 release

Quote:

>ANNOUNCE: Release of version 0.90 of the Netwide Assembler (NASM)
>NASM is an 80x86 assembler designed for portability and modularity.
>It supports a range of object file formats including Linux a.out and
>ELF, COFF, Microsoft 16-bit OBJ and Win32. It will also output plain
>binary files. Its syntax is designed to be simple and easy to
>understand, similar to Intel's but less complex. It supports Pentium
>and P6 opcodes. It includes a disassembler as well.

si, it's basically a multiplatform assembler?  kinda like java or
something?

Wed, 07 Apr 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 ANNOUNCE: The Netwide Assembler Project 0.90 release

Quote:

> si, it's basically a multiplatform assembler?  kinda like java or
> something?

It's an 80x86 assembler - it assembles 80x86 assembly language into
80x86 machine code. It's designed for portability, however, meaning
that it doesn't assume that the assembler is _running_ on an 80x86.
So it can perfectly well be used for cross-assembly as long as the
80x86 is the target.

Hope that helps.
--

_> ------------    Trinity College, Cambridge, CB2 1TQ, England

Wed, 07 Apr 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 ANNOUNCE: The Netwide Assembler Project 0.90 release

: > ANNOUNCE: Release of version 0.90 of the Netwide Assembler (NASM)
: > NASM is available in Unix .tar.gz format as
: >   ftp://sunsite.unc.edu/pub/Linux/apps/assemblers/nasm-0.90.tar.gz

: It isn't there... nor on sunsite.doc.ic.ac.uk.

: > and as a DOS archive from the Coast to Coast Repository (Simtel) as

: No public access there...

        A little searching shows that it is really in:

        ftp://sunsite.unc.edu/pub/Linux/devel/lang/asm/nasm-0.90.tar.gz

--

"I never let schooling interfere with my education"  -- Mark Twain

Thu, 08 Apr 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 ANNOUNCE: The Netwide Assembler Project 0.90 release

Quote:

>ANNOUNCE: Release of version 0.90 of the Netwide Assembler (NASM)
>NASM is an 80x86 assembler designed for portability and modularity.
>It supports a range of object file formats including Linux a.out and

Congratulations to all involved in this, it looks like a fine
piece of software from a first look.

Fri, 09 Apr 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 ANNOUNCE: The Netwide Assembler Project 0.90 release

Quote:

>> si, it's basically a multiplatform assembler?  kinda like java or
>> something?
>It's an 80x86 assembler - it assembles 80x86 assembly language into
>80x86 machine code. It's designed for portability, however, meaning
>that it doesn't assume that the assembler is _running_ on an 80x86.
>So it can perfectly well be used for cross-assembly as long as the
>80x86 is the target.
>Hope that helps.

so it assembles into kind of a byte code that can run on any machine,
but has to *be* assembled on an 80x86?

Sat, 10 Apr 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 ANNOUNCE: The Netwide Assembler Project 0.90 release

Quote:
>so it assembles into kind of a byte code that can run on any machine,
>but has to *be* assembled on an 80x86?

From what I've heard, it's just the opposite.  I think what happens is you
download some source code (probably in C) and compile it (a lot like
getting the source versions of GNU C).  That way it will run on any system
that can compile C, but the code that it outputs will only work on an
80x86.

software for another ISP, do don't e-mail me because I'll probably be away
from AOL very soon :)

Sat, 10 Apr 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 ANNOUNCE: The Netwide Assembler Project 0.90 release

Quote:

>so it assembles into kind of a byte code that can run on any machine,
>but has to *be* assembled on an 80x86?

I think he's saying the assembler can run on multiple platforms, but
the output is 8086 machine code. I think I got that right.

Matt Jacobs

Sun, 11 Apr 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 ANNOUNCE: The Netwide Assembler Project 0.90 release

says...

[ talking about nasm ]

Quote:
> so it assembles into kind of a byte code that can run on any
> machine, but has to *be* assembled on an 80x86?

No - the reverse.  It's a perfectly normal x86 assembler that's
written in C, so it can be run on other machines, but still accepts
normal x86 instructions and produces x86 opcodes as its output.

--
    Later,
    Jerry.

Mon, 12 Apr 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. ANNOUNCE: The Netwide Assembler Project 0.90 release

2. ANNOUNCE: SCons goes beta w/release 0.90, adds Visual Studio support

3. Experimental py2tex 0.90 release

4. ReportLab Release 0.90 - Dynamic PDF from Python

5. ANNOUNCE: BUSH 0.9 release

6. Nasm, the netwide assembler winsock problem.

7. New official netwide assembler (NASM) mailing list -- NASM Advocate

8. The Netwide Assembler Question

9. Free TMA macro assembler assembler project

10. update sablot 0.90 -> 0.98

11. LablGL 0.9 released

12. Kodos 0.9 released (python regular expression GUI)