INTERRUPT CONTROLLER
Author Message
 INTERRUPT CONTROLLER

Hi , there
I am Dhiraj.
I want to know the exact function of the Interrupt Controller. I have written
many TSRs in assembly , in my Interrupt Service Routines I use to send signal
(20h) to the Interrupt Controller through port 20h ; but this is what I have
come to know through several books.
 So why is it essential to tell(by sending 20h)the interrupt controller that
an interrupt is invoked? What if I don't send 20h to port 20h?  And is there
anything else that one(programmer) can do with the Interrupt Controller other
than sending 20h to it?

Please guide
SEND ANSWER BY EMAIL , PLEASE
Waiting for reply
-Dhiraj

Sat, 12 Jan 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 INTERRUPT CONTROLLER
the sending 20h to it... is called EOI, end of interrupt... communicates
better ;-)

 It just tells the interrupt controller that the interrupt may happen
again...
this function is there to make sure the same interrupt doens't happen twice
at the same time.
 The interrupt controller can be used to mask interrupts (disable them from
happening). It can also be used to say how you want your ints to happen...
you can tell the IC to invoke every interrupt when it happens, or invoke
them AFTER the EOI has happened... I'm not 100% sure about this... it's just
a vage description ;-)

Quote:
>Hi , there
>I am Dhiraj.
>I want to know the exact function of the Interrupt Controller. I have
written
>many TSRs in assembly , in my Interrupt Service Routines I use to send
signal
>(20h) to the Interrupt Controller through port 20h ; but this is what I
have
>come to know through several books.
> So why is it essential to tell(by sending 20h)the interrupt controller
that
>an interrupt is invoked? What if I don't send 20h to port 20h?  And is
there
>anything else that one(programmer) can do with the Interrupt Controller
other
>than sending 20h to it?

>Please guide
>SEND ANSWER BY EMAIL , PLEASE
>Waiting for reply
>-Dhiraj

Sat, 12 Jan 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. programming the interrupt controller

2. AAA: Programmable Interrupt Controller programming problem

3. Interrupt Controller ?

4. 8259A Programmable Interrupt Controller datasheet.

5. Plez help...Programming the interrupt controller

6. Intel 8259a Interrupt Controller Programming Info?

7. Q: Interrupt Controller

8. Receive error-1 at TCP/IP read - GPIB controller must be controller in charge

9. GNAT: Ada.Interrupts and Ada.Interrupts.Names

10. Interrupts in TSR interrupt handlers

11. PM Programming: Interrupts not interrupting

12. DOS Interrupt/BIOS interrupt function reference