32 bit programming
Author Message
 32 bit programming

The majority of stuff on assembly language seems to be base around 16 bit
processors.
Does anyone know of any good 32 bit resources, or is all the 16 bit stuff
equally relevant?

Youre PF

Sun, 25 Aug 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 32 bit programming

Quote:
>The majority of stuff on assembly language seems to be base around 16 bit
>processors.
>Does anyone know of any good 32 bit resources, or is all the 16 bit stuff
>equally relevant?

Yes, for x86 CPU's, and 'normal' programming, not many differences.
 - 32-bit registers, which allows 32-bit movs, adds, subs, etc...
 - 32-bit addressing has more modes.
In general: [<base reg> + <index  reg> * scale], any 32-bit register combo
can be used

Also, with new CPUs come some new instructions. The i386 adds
 - MOVSX & MOVZX (mov with sign/zero extend)
 - SETccc (Set byte on condition)
 - BT/BSF/BSR (Bit Test/scan)
 - More instructions dealing with protection
 - Paging

Note that both 16-bit _and_ 32-bit registers/instructions can be used on
i386 and compatible, regardless of mode or 'default precision'.
Many people think that 32-bit instructions can't be used in normal
16-bit DOS (Real Mode) operation.

Sun, 25 Aug 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 32 bit programming
Win32 ASM sites:

[ ..The Assembly Pages.. ]:
http://www.bigwig.net/jimmy/

_HaK_ homepage:
http://perso.infonie.fr/kinher/

_Secret's Programming Page:
http://www.opferman.com/

Dolphinz HomePage:
http://personal5.iddeo.es/ret007ow/index.html

Iczelion's Win32 Assembly HomePage: (The king of them all =))
http://win32asm.cjb.net

Ron's Cornucopia for assembly language and graphics programming:
http://www.rbthomas.freeserve.co.uk/

Steve Gibson's WebZone:
http://www.grc.com/steve.htm

Hutch's MASM32:
http://www.pbq.com.au/home/hutch/masm.htm

Whiz Kid Technomagic:
http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Heights/7394/

Tamas Kaproncai's Win32 NASM page:
http://rs1.szif.hu/~tomcat/win32/

Windows Assembly Language programming:
http://www.fortunecity.com/skyscraper/corel/378/winasm.html

And of course, the Team2000 site if your into NASM (Netwide Assembler)  I've
written Win32/DOS programs.  Distributed with complete source code and
executables.

Team2000 PC/Palm Pilot Programming Team:
http://ppilot.homepage.com

Quote:

> The majority of stuff on assembly language seems to be base around 16 bit
> processors.
> Does anyone know of any good 32 bit resources, or is all the 16 bit stuff
> equally relevant?

> Youre PF

Sun, 25 Aug 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. Mixed 16-bit, 32-bit programming question

2. EverKey Dongle and Clarion 32 bit program

3. Accessing Clipper (NTX) files from 32-bit program

4. REQ: Advice on 32-bit programming

5. need some help on 32 bit programs

6. 32 bit programs

7. Windows 95, 32 bit programming from assembler?

8. Windows 95, 32 bit programming from assembler?

9. 32-bit programming

10. Division 32-Bit/32-Bit with 16-Bit Register

11. Programming Motorola 16-bit and 32-bit microcontrollers

12. Building 32 bit DLL from 32 bit EXE