Flash BIOS rewriting and low-level hardware access
Author Message
 Flash BIOS rewriting and low-level hardware access

writes

Quote:
>I am interested in experimenting with low-level hardware and BIOS routines
>for the x86 architecture.  I would like to really start from scratch and
>write my own small BIOS and bootstrap code.  I specifically want to know how
>to actually write to the flash BIOS.  What ports or interupts or registers
>are involved? What's the procedure?  How do the BIOS flashing utilities
>actually do their job? Can you access and control the hardware without going
>through the BIOS?  Any help, pointers, URL's, book titles, or any other
>information sources would be greatly appreciated.

Unfortunately, the write algorithms for flash parts are different
(albeit somewhat similar)  from one device to another. The most commonly
used flash parts IMHO are these from Intel and AMD so you probably want
to pull some datasheets from their Websites.

Regards,

Michael Tippach

Sun, 29 Jul 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. Flash BIOS rewriting and low-level hardware access

2. info on low-level programing IDE hardware

3. Really Low Low Low Level Stuff.

4. Low Level Device Access

5. Low Level Device Access

6. Error when accessing low level objects and converting variant to refnum Type

7. Access disk Low level ?!

8. Low level hard disk access

9. Low level disk access

10. Low level keyboard access under Windoze?

11. Low-level access to fd's in ACL

12. High Level ASM and Low Level ASM