get the address of a data segment
Author Message
 get the address of a data segment

g> I have no way to do an 'assume' because I have some helpfull data in the
g> currently assumed ds...
g> So how can I tell TASM that there are severals data segments ?

You must declare in every program unit all segments used there.

Fri, 17 Apr 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 get the address of a data segment
Im looking to buy the Zen of Assembler by Michael Abrash, its out of print
and I cant find it anywhere.  If anyone has a copy they would sell
to me please e-mail to this address to let me know (I dont care if its beat
up, just readble)

 geoff

Fri, 17 Apr 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 get the address of a data segment

Quote:

> Im looking to buy the Zen of Assembler by Michael Abrash, its out of print
> and I cant find it anywhere.  If anyone has a copy they would sell
> to me please e-mail to this address to let me know (I dont care if its beat
> up, just readble)

The original ZEN OF ASSEMBLY LANGUAGE is indeed out of print, but
there's an updated version which contains a great deal of the material
from the earlier book, as well as new material concerning 386, 486, and
Pentium optimization:

ZEN OF CODE OPTIMIZATION
Michael Abrash
Coriolis Group Books, 1994
Dist. by IDG Books, ISBN 1-8883577-03-9

You can also order it online directly from Coriolis at:

http://www.coriolis.com

There has been some discussion at Coriolis about making the original book
available as a CD-ROM containing the author's orginal WordPerfect files.
If you really want the earlier book, you might check with them on the
status of that project.

(And if you get more than one offer to sell ZEN OF ASSEMBLY, let me know -
I have ZEN OF CODE OPTIMIZATION, but I'd like a copy of the original to
replace the one I had that was stolen.)

---
Glen Blankenship

Fri, 17 Apr 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 get the address of a data segment
: > Im looking to buy the Zen of Assembler by Michael Abrash, its out of print
: > and I cant find it anywhere.  If anyone has a copy they would sell
: > to me please e-mail to this address to let me know (I dont care if its beat
: > up, just readble)
:
: ZEN OF CODE OPTIMIZATION

  I've been trying to find this book in bookstores all over but couldn't
get my hands on it.  Do you know of any bookstore that has it for sure?
I don't want to go through mail order.

  I have Zen of Graphics Programming (The second version) and it's okay.
Michael leaves out a lot of pretty obvious optimizations but other than
that it does have some pretty good stuff.

  Marvin Herbold
  Fledging PC Game Programmer

Fri, 17 Apr 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 get the address of a data segment
|>   I have Zen of Graphics Programming (The second version) and it's okay.
|> Michael leaves out a lot of pretty obvious optimizations
Such as??

--

Sun, 19 Apr 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 get the address of a data segment

Quote:

>: > Im looking to buy the Zen of Assembler by Michael Abrash, its out of print
>: > and I cant find it anywhere.  If anyone has a copy they would sell
>: > to me please e-mail to this address to let me know (I dont care if its beat
>: > up, just readble)
>:
>: ZEN OF CODE OPTIMIZATION
>  I've been trying to find this book in bookstores all over but couldn't
>get my hands on it.  Do you know of any bookstore that has it for sure?
>I don't want to go through mail order.

Zen of Assembler has been out of print for awhile.  I've got both it and Zen
of Code Optimization (in perfect condition) which I'd be willing to sell if
anyone's really desperate for a copy (I really need the shelf space, I've just
acquired another 2 feet of computer journals), but I suspect the postage will
cost twice what the book's worth.

Peter.

Mon, 20 Apr 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 get the address of a data segment
Quote:

>> : ZEN OF CODE OPTIMIZATION
>Given the title, author, publisher, distributor, and ISBN number, any
>decent bookstore should be able to order it for you.

[stuff deleted]
I have this book at home. I got it in Barnes & Noble in Boston about a
month ago. I you need the ISBN number e-mail and I'll look it up when
I get home.

John.

    John Roy    |   Cambridge Technology Partners  |   Phone: (617) 374-8375

                |   Cambridge, MA 02139            |

Mon, 20 Apr 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 get the address of a data segment

: |>   I have Zen of Graphics Programming (The second version) and it's okay.
: |> Michael leaves out a lot of pretty obvious optimizations
:            ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
: Such as??

  Oooo... that sounds like a challenge to me.

  Ok one pretty obvious optimization off the top of my head... The
bresenham line routine.  He could have doubled his speed by doing both
ends at the same time and ending up in the middle.

  Shall I say more?  I don't want to put Mike down, I think his work is
pretty good.  He probabaly had limited space to work with doing the book.

  Marv

Mon, 27 Apr 1998 03:00:00 GMT

1. need help getting segment address in TSR

2. DATA segment and no addressing in subroutines

3. get the address of a data segment

4. Help: Fixing data segment at a specific address ...

5. -=- Getting Fixups into Your Data Segment ??? -=-

6. -=- Getting Fixups into Your Data Segment ??? -=-

7. Effective address to 'segmented' address

8. data segment vs code segment

9. Initializing DX to Code Segment(CS) Memory Address...?!?

10. segmented addressing question

11. Initializing DX to Code Segment(CS) Memory Address…?!?

12. Segmented addressing