Load balancing on Windows NT/2K
Author Message
 Load balancing on Windows NT/2K

Does anybody know how load balancing actually works from the client
side? Can I write a program that is multithreaded and will this benefit
from load balancing or does the application has to be prepared for taht
(my guess). Anyy suggestions welcome. :)
--
Bye,
   Gerhard

CocoNet GmbH Erkrath

If you think education is expensive, try ignorance!

Tue, 13 Jan 2004 19:43:05 GMT
 Load balancing on Windows NT/2K
Hi Gerhard,

Quote:
> Does anybody know how load balancing actually works from the client
> side? Can I write a program that is multithreaded and will this benefit
> from load balancing or does the application has to be prepared for taht
> (my guess). Anyy suggestions welcome. :)

I don't think that it's the good group for this question. But...

Load balancing ? Do you think about WLBS (Windows NT Load Balancing
Services) ?
http://www.microsoft.com/NTServer/ntserverenterprise/exec/feature/WLB...
lt.asp
It's a server-side network load-balancing services. With this technology,
two or more servers can simulate a unique virtual server. It's interresting
for services like HTTP deamon or the like...

Hope this help,
Eric.

Tue, 13 Jan 2004 20:49:30 GMT
 Load balancing on Windows NT/2K
On Fri, 27 Jul 2001 12:49:30 GMT wrote "Eric Nowinski"

Quote:
>I don't think that it's the good group for this question. But...

Actually I wasn't refereing to Web based load balancing, rahter for SMP
machines. That's why I posted in this group. Because I wanted to know what
impact this has on programming. If it is enough to use the default
multiprocessing communication mechanisms (like semaphores, mutextes, etc.) or
if there are seperate issues involved to make an application work most
efficiently on SMP. I can image that this may not be properly programmed in
HLL, so I thought this would be a good group to ask in.

Quote:
>It's a server-side network load-balancing services. With this technology,
>two or more servers can simulate a unique virtual server. It's interresting
>for services like HTTP deamon or the like...

Does this work for networking only, or also for normal programms. I'm not
sure, because my boss asked me about it and up until now I also associated
load balancing primarily with network operations. From what he told me, though
it seemed as if there is also a load balancing service available that is not
specifically associated with networking.

--
Bye,
   Gerhard

Wed, 14 Jan 2004 01:10:05 GMT
 Load balancing on Windows NT/2K
Hi Gerhard,

Quote:
> >I don't think that it's the good group for this question. But...

> Actually I wasn't refereing to Web based load balancing, rahter for SMP
> machines. That's why I posted in this group. Because I wanted to know what
> impact this has on programming. If it is enough to use the default
> multiprocessing communication mechanisms (like semaphores, mutextes, etc.)
or
> if there are seperate issues involved to make an application work most
> efficiently on SMP. I can image that this may not be properly programmed
in
> HLL, so I thought this would be a good group to ask in.

Ok, your message title confised me...

Under Windows NT (and Win2K), processor time is shared to all sheduled
threads according to there priority. When you have 2 processors, 2 threads
can run simultaneously (in theory).
This meen that if you want to exploit all ressources of a MP machine, you
need to write multi-threads processes. As you emphasize it, synchronisation
functions are important in multi-thread programming.

When your program is correctly written, performances gains are generaly
great.

Hope this help,
Eric.

Fri, 16 Jan 2004 16:35:05 GMT
 Load balancing on Windows NT/2K
<From what he told me, though
<it seemed as if there is also a load balancing service available that is
not
<specifically associated with networking

May be he ment CLB - component load balancing.
With windows2000 adwanced/server  it's possible to create a cluster of
machines with a goal to load balancing COM(component object model) objects.
So you can implement your business logic as COM object(activeX component)
,put it in a cluster and then it's a cluster's problem to decide which
computer will handle requests from clients.

Take a look at this

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/TechNet/pr...
ol/acs/reskit/acrkch5.asp

Regards,
Alex

Sun, 18 Jan 2004 13:29:50 GMT

1. Windows 2K vs Windows NT

2. Killing a process under Windows NT/2K

3. How to compile GNU Prolog on Windows NT/2K/XP

4. Appbroker load balancing

5. load balancing ... functional style

6. Load Balancing

7. Load balancing

8. Dynamic loading slowdown problem in LabVIEW 5.0.1 for Windows NT

9. Puzzling error loading package in Windows NT.

11. Compilers Windows NT or Cross Compiler SunSolaris2.5/Windows NT Fortran77

12. Line drawing characters under NT/2K/XP