Volume serial number
Author Message
 Volume serial number

Can anyone tell me where to find the volume serial numbers which are
generated during a format (composed of time and date).
I need the physical location... the int21h functions can only provide the
info when the drive is known. When booting from a DOS flop (...), a
NTFS partition can not be accessed via int21h.
I know of the offset 0x27 at the MBR but doesn't seem to be the correct
place... or ?

Any help is appreciated.

Thx,
Rob

Sat, 12 Jan 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Volume serial number
Hi Rob,
The VSN has nothing to do with the MBR.

The Master Boot Sector is the first sector on the harddisk, normally
created by FDISK.
The MBR is situated in the Master Boot Sector (offset 01BEh) and has
data about partitions on a harddisk.
Apart from the MBR, needed to find the partitions, the MBS contains a
signature and a bootprogram that checks the validity of the sector and
can load the first sector of a valid Dos boot partition.
The MBR entries are used to find the first sector in a partition and
have data about them.

The Dos boot sector is the first sector in a Dos partition (or floppy),
created by FORMAT.
Again this sector contains a signature, data and a bootprogram.
The data contain particulars about the Dos volume, the program can load
some sectors of IO.SYS, when the system files and signature are checked
present.
This is done using the data found in the Dos boot sector.

The loaded code is started and loads in turn the rest of the system.

The V(olume) S(erial) N(umber) is a 4 byte value at offset 27h in the
boot sector stored in reverse.
See you, Eric
--

Eric P. van Westendorp  Tel: +31(0252)210579
Reigerslaan 22  2215NN Voorhout  Netherlands

Quote:

> Can anyone tell me where to find the volume serial numbers which are
> generated during a format (composed of time and date).
> I need the physical location... the int21h functions can only provide the
> info when the drive is known. When booting from a DOS flop (...), a
> NTFS partition can not be accessed via int21h.
> I know of the offset 0x27 at the MBR but doesn't seem to be the correct
> place... or ?

> Any help is appreciated.

> Thx,
> Rob