TASM VS MASM
Author Message
 TASM VS MASM

Which is better?

Sat, 19 Jul 2003 18:53:08 GMT
 TASM VS MASM
On Tue, 30 Jan 2001 18:53:08 +0800, "Assembly"

Quote:

>Which is better?

This is always a matter of personal opinion. According to mine, TASM
is better, because it is 99% MASM compatible and then more.

But MASM is being updated, while TASM is not; MASM is free nowadays,
TASM is not. I would say it's best to start with MASM. There's always
time to change to TASM when one can appreciate and make use of the
special features of TASM.

Manuel Algora

Sat, 19 Jul 2003 19:48:24 GMT
 TASM VS MASM

   >Which is better?

That's like asking, "Which automobile is better...a Vauxhall or
a Morris?"

The answer is: "It depends.  They'll both get you where you want
to go.  Which one do you LIKE?" :)

It's a personal judgment call.  Me, I like the A86 assembler.

Sun, 20 Jul 2003 08:22:50 GMT
 TASM VS MASM
Actually not much difference although you may want to check the

On Tue, 30 Jan 2001 18:53:08 +0800, "Assembly"

Quote:

>Which is better?

Yours Truely,
John Chung

Mon, 21 Jul 2003 00:57:32 GMT
 TASM VS MASM
Quote:
> This is always a matter of personal opinion. According to mine, TASM
> is better, because it is 99% MASM compatible and then more.

I wish this were the case.
Then I wouldn't have had to write a program to translate HLA's
output from MASM to TASM format so I could link HLA code
with Delphi.

OTOH, it *is* easy to write code that assembles with both assemblers.
I used to develop the "UCR Standard Library with TASM (4.0) and
then assemble the final library modules using MASM and I almost
never had to change anything.  That worked because the UCR Stdlib
was written with MASM 5.1 syntax.  When I switched to writing
MASM 6.x code, I began to find a lot of differences between MASM
and TASM.
Randy Hyde
P.S. Does anyone know how to tell TASM that it's okay to define
the same symbol twice with EXTERNDEF?

Mon, 21 Jul 2003 02:43:17 GMT
 TASM VS MASM
Where can MASM be obtained from?

Thanks
Chris

Quote:
> On Tue, 30 Jan 2001 18:53:08 +0800, "Assembly"

> >Which is better?

> This is always a matter of personal opinion. According to mine, TASM
> is better, because it is 99% MASM compatible and then more.

> But MASM is being updated, while TASM is not; MASM is free nowadays,
> TASM is not. I would say it's best to start with MASM. There's always
> time to change to TASM when one can appreciate and make use of the
> special features of TASM.

> Manuel Algora

Mon, 21 Jul 2003 05:15:01 GMT
 TASM VS MASM

Quote:
> Where can MASM be obtained from?

goto http://www.easystreet.com/~jkirwan/pctools.html
Randy Hyde

Also, search for MASM32 on the web, you can easily
download everything you need with this package.

Mon, 21 Jul 2003 07:36:17 GMT
 TASM VS MASM
question:

Quote:
> Which is better?

It depends for what you'll use it, what do you prefer etc. Personally I use
TASM (but on HDD I've got two of them). It's simpler for creating COM files
because you don't have to run exe2bin. But it's only my personal opinion.

--
Best regards - TiR 2000 - GG# 413992
Konserwatywna Unia Realizacji Webmasterskich Ambicji

My email addy - tir2000<at>wot.SPAM.com.SUCKS.pl.ASS
TiRNet Service - http://www.tir2000.prv.pl

Wed, 23 Jul 2003 21:46:37 GMT
 TASM VS MASM
something like that:

Quote:
> Where can MASM be obtained from?

file://d:/asm86/masm/masm.zip - 244536 bytes. I can mail it to you.

--
Best regards - TiR 2000 - GG# 413992
Konserwatywna Unia Realizacji Webmasterskich Ambicji

My email addy - tir2000<at>wot.SPAM.com.SUCKS.pl.ASS
TiRNet Service - http://www.tir2000.prv.pl

Wed, 23 Jul 2003 21:49:31 GMT
 TASM VS MASM
TASM ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Quote:

> question:

> > Which is better?

> It depends for what you'll use it, what do you prefer etc. Personally I use
> TASM (but on HDD I've got two of them). It's simpler for creating COM files
> because you don't have to run exe2bin. But it's only my personal opinion.

> --
> Best regards - TiR 2000 - GG# 413992
> Konserwatywna Unia Realizacji Webmasterskich Ambicji

> My email addy - tir2000<at>wot.SPAM.com.SUCKS.pl.ASS
> TiRNet Service - http://www.tir2000.prv.pl

Fri, 08 Aug 2003 11:51:45 GMT
 TASM VS MASM

Quote:
>> > Which is better? [MASM, TASM or NASM]
>TASM ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Which side of the fence are you on?  A word of advice, if you're gonna
post to usenet you really shouldn't leave your posts this vague.  It
makes it confusing for the rest of us to try to decipher. :)

- Rick C. Hodgin

Fri, 08 Aug 2003 21:12:59 GMT
 TASM VS MASM

Quote:
> TASM ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

> > question:

> > > Which is better?

Actually, I've been modifying the HLA compiler to emit TASM code
recently, and I've come across some very serious problems with
TASM.  For example, it will not assemble a statement like the
following:

    pushd  07ffffffeh

Maybe I've just got an earlier version of TASM 5.0, but errors
in instructions this trivial give me pause for concern.  While I've
coded a work-around, I've probably come across a half-dozen
instructions like this that MASM will assemble and TASM rejects.
MASM is not without its share of problems,  but I cannot think
of a single statement HLA emits that I've had to doctor because
MASM didn't assemble the statement as per the documentation.

While I'm on the subject, my version of TASM 5.0 (quite dusty
when I decided to install and use it) rejects the RDTSC instruction.
Now I can deal with the lack of MMX instructions, but I suspect
I've got a *really* old version if it's rejecting RDTSC.  Anyone know
where I can find a patch for this puppy?

Randy Hyde

Sat, 09 Aug 2003 03:29:15 GMT
 TASM VS MASM
Here is an address to get Tasm up to 5.0r.  It worked last time I checked,
which was right before I posted this.  I think it has documentation inside,
but if not email me or post if you have any questions.
http://personal5.iddeo.es/ret007ow/tasmpt.zip

                                                            Tyler Prete

Quote:

> > TASM ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

> > > question:

> Actually, I've been modifying the HLA compiler to emit TASM code
> recently, and I've come across some very serious problems with
> TASM.  For example, it will not assemble a statement like the
> following:

>     pushd  07ffffffeh

> Maybe I've just got an earlier version of TASM 5.0, but errors
> in instructions this trivial give me pause for concern.  While I've
> coded a work-around, I've probably come across a half-dozen
> instructions like this that MASM will assemble and TASM rejects.
> MASM is not without its share of problems,  but I cannot think
> of a single statement HLA emits that I've had to doctor because
> MASM didn't assemble the statement as per the documentation.

> While I'm on the subject, my version of TASM 5.0 (quite dusty
> when I decided to install and use it) rejects the RDTSC instruction.
> Now I can deal with the lack of MMX instructions, but I suspect
> I've got a *really* old version if it's rejecting RDTSC.  Anyone know
> where I can find a patch for this puppy?

> Randy Hyde

Sat, 09 Aug 2003 13:19:59 GMT
 TASM VS MASM

Quote:
> Here is an address to get Tasm up to 5.0r.  It worked last time I checked,
> which was right before I posted this.  I think it has documentation
inside,
> but if not email me or post if you have any questions.
> http://personal5.iddeo.es/ret007ow/tasmpt.zip

Even better, I found the following post in the TASM newsgroup which
I'll repost here for others to see:

If you can get your hands on TASM 5.3, you will have MMX support
built in. To get your hands on 5.3, here are the steps:

1.) Buy TASM 5.0 (If you do not already own it).
2.) Get the Borland Products Trial CD ($6.95)
3.) The Borland C++ Builder 5.0 Trial comes with an updated
    TASM32.EXE, this is what you want. There are also other items
    that are in common with TASM that you could update. (Another
    important item is the import32.lib file.)

You now have the most up to date TASM available.
There is even a 686P directive as well as MMX.

Hope this helps.
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Randy Hyde

Mon, 11 Aug 2003 23:34:48 GMT

1. Tasm vs Masm

2. TASM vs MASM

3. TASM VS MASM

4. TASM vs MASM

5. TASM vs MASM

6. TASM vs MASM help!!!

7. TASM vs MASM

8. TASM vs MASM vs A86 vs DJGPP vs DEBUG (ASM vs C/C++) PROOF???

9. TASM vs MASM vs A86 vs DJGPP vs DEBUG (ASM vs C/C++) PROOF???

10. Tasm vs. Masm

11. MASM vs TASM Which is better in reality....

12. MASM vs TASM