floppy and hard drive programming
Author Message
 floppy and hard drive programming

Hi,

   I would like to know where i can get the information about
programming the floppy disk or the hard disk through the I/O ports
instead of the normal interrupts. But please dont tell me to look into
the linux kernel sources since i have already tried to understand them
without any luck. Also is there any way i can access the ROM BIOS
routines in protected mode from the ring 0 code?

Thanx,
meson

--
Have plans for world domination?? Count me in!!!

Sent via Deja.com http://www.*-*-*.com/

Mon, 04 Mar 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 floppy and hard drive programming

Quote:
> Hi,

>    I would like to know where i can get the information about
> programming the floppy disk or the hard disk through the I/O ports
> instead of the normal interrupts. But please dont tell me to look into
> the linux kernel sources since i have already tried to understand them
> without any luck. Also is there any way i can access the ROM BIOS
> routines in protected mode from the ring 0 code?

> Thanx,
> meson

> --
> Have plans for world domination?? Count me in!!!

I have looked into this as well... Accessing BIOS is only possible if
you want to set up a V86 task from inside your ring 0 stuff.

As far as port programming, do some web surfing... I found a file
"fdc.zip" that has C code for programming the floppy disk, and several
files that talk about programming the hard drive.

Some useful links are:
    http://homepages.ihug.com.au/~entropy/os/os-faq.html
    http://netdial.caribe.net/~adrian2/programmer.html
    http://www.erols.com/johnfine/
    http://www.cs.uct.ac.za/~fabian/coding.html
         (If I remember right, this one has the FDC.ZIP file)
    http://www.azillionmonkeys.com/qed/asm.html

Hope this helps
Eugene Styer

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

Tue, 05 Mar 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 floppy and hard drive programming

Quote:

>Hi,

>   I would like to know where i can get the information about
>programming the floppy disk or the hard disk through the I/O ports
>instead of the normal interrupts. But please dont tell me to look into
>the linux kernel sources since i have already tried to understand them
>without any luck. Also is there any way i can access the ROM BIOS
>routines in protected mode from the ring 0 code?

>Thanx,
>meson

>--
>Have plans for world domination?? Count me in!!!

>Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

Try my Floppy Disk Controller programming page, at
http://debs.future.easyspace.com/Programming/Hardware/FDC/floppy.html
This has information on all the standard FDC registers and commands.

I hope to have my Hard Disk Controller pages up in a couple of months,
although this has to fit around my University studies (which slows me
down, as I couldn't find a course in the UK which includes a
significant amount of low level programming).

Debbie Wiles

Wed, 06 Mar 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. Floppy and Hard Drive

2. boot from floppy but run the bootstrap loader on the hard drive

3. Floppy and Hard Drive

4. How do I FDISK/FORMAT a Hard Drive or Floppy

5. Determining Fixed Drives From Floppy Drives

6. My floppy program disable the drive!

7. Floppy Disk Drive Low Level Programming Help!

8. How to program Floppy Drive Controller

9. problems programming floppy drive

10. Hard Drive Programming

11. HARD DRIVE PROGRAMMING - LONG

12. Hard disk and Floppy in Pmode