how is cache pronounced?
Author Message
 how is cache pronounced?

is cache pronounced like "kochee" or like "cash" or some other way?
GS d- s: a---- C++++ W++
 N++ K- W+++++ M-- PS
PE+ Y+ PGP- t 5 X++ R
tv+ b DI+++ D---- Ge-- h! r+

Sun, 13 Jan 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 how is cache pronounced?

It is pronounced k-a-sh, with a hard 'a', like the word 'a'.

Quote:

> is cache pronounced like "kochee" or like "cash" or some other way?
> GS d- s: a---- C++++ W++
>  N++ K- W+++++ M-- PS
> PE+ Y+ PGP- t 5 X++ R
> tv+ b DI+++ D---- Ge-- h! r+

Mon, 14 Jan 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 how is cache pronounced?

Quote:
>is cache pronounced like "kochee" or like "cash" or some other way?
>GS d- s: a---- C++++ W++
> N++ K- W+++++ M-- PS
>PE+ Y+ PGP- t 5 X++ R
>tv+ b DI+++ D---- Ge-- h! r+

sounds like "cash"

Mon, 14 Jan 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 how is cache pronounced?
There's an old joke (story may be true) about a guy who worked
for a financial firm.  He gets into work and a coworker (accounting expert)
informs him the mainframe is down until (they expect) early afternoon.
When asked why he is told "financial problem".

Later the guy asks a friend in the comp. center what was up,
and is told they had a problem with the cache memory.

It is only funny when you pronounce "cache" as "cash", it may
not be very funny then, but,  . . .
--
Kevin G. Rhoads, Ph.D. (Linearity is a convenient fiction.)

Mon, 14 Jan 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 how is cache pronounced?

says...

Quote:

> >is cache pronounced like "kochee" or like "cash" or some other way?
> >GS d- s: a---- C++++ W++
> > N++ K- W+++++ M-- PS
> >PE+ Y+ PGP- t 5 X++ R
> >tv+ b DI+++ D---- Ge-- h! r+

> sounds like "cash"

Since cache is a french word (that means "hidden"), the correct
pronounciation would be the french one. I'm not english, so I don't know
if "kochee" is the correct pronounciation. It will be if the 'o' sounds
like the 'a' in 'car' and the 'ee' sound like the 'e' in 'bed'.

I don't know if I have explained well, but if there's any doubt maybe
we could use a wav file ;-)

Bye
--
Jess Jimnez Herranz

(Remove CACANO from the address)

Wed, 16 Jan 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 how is cache pronounced?

   > > >is cache pronounced like "kochee" or like "cash" or some other way?
   > >
   > > sounds like "cash"
   >
   >Since cache is a french word (that means "hidden"), the correct
   >pronounciation would be the french one. I'm not english, so I don't
   >know if "kochee" is the correct pronounciation. It will be if the
   >'o' sounds like the 'a' in 'car' and the 'ee' sound like the 'e' in
   >'bed'.

"Cache" is French, but in English, it has been "Anglicized."  The
correct pronunciation is "cash."

A few people persist in pronouncing it "cash-AY," but that's really
a completely different French word.

Return address is mangled to foil spambots. Remove all "g"s to e-mail.

Net-Tamer V 1.08X - Test Drive

Wed, 16 Jan 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 how is cache pronounced?

Quote:

>    > > >is cache pronounced like "kochee" or like "cash" or some other way?

>    > > sounds like "cash"

>    >Since cache is a french word (that means "hidden"), the correct
>    >pronounciation would be the french one. I'm not english, so I don't
>    >know if "kochee" is the correct pronounciation. It will be if the
>    >'o' sounds like the 'a' in 'car' and the 'ee' sound like the 'e' in
>    >'bed'.

> "Cache" is French, but in English, it has been "Anglicized."  The
> correct pronunciation is "cash."

> A few people persist in pronouncing it "cash-AY," but that's really
> a completely different French word.

A quick language lesson seems to be in order. Off topic, but that's OK
cos this is an alt group.

Firstly, 'cacher' (or the reflexive form 'se cacher') is the verb, to
hide (oneself, reflexive).
From that you have the past participle 'cach/e' (/e being e with an
acute accent). This can either be used in compound verb forms or as an
adjective.

There is also the noun 'cache' (no accent, same pronunciation as in
English).

So if anyone does insist on pronouncing 'cache' as 'cash-AY', they are
not only being very pretentious, but they are also wrong.

Salut
Paul
--
Paul Floyd      Focal Ingenierie Sud
Mail: paul underscore floyd at focal dot fr

Fri, 18 Jan 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 how is cache pronounced?

   >There is also the noun 'cache' (no accent, same pronunciation as in
   >English).
   >So if anyone does insist on pronouncing 'cache' as 'cash-AY', they
   >are not only being very pretentious, but they are also wrong.
   >Salut
   >Paul
   >--
   >Paul Floyd Focal Ingenierie Sud
   >Mail: paul underscore floyd at focal dot fr
                                             ^^
"The horse's mouth!"  Thanks for    |  'La bouche du cheval!'  Merci pour
the good words, Paul. :)            |  les bons mots, Paul. :)

Return address is mangled to foil spambots. Remove all "g"s to e-mail.

Net-Tamer V 1.08X - Test Drive

Fri, 18 Jan 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 how is cache pronounced?

Quote:
>So if anyone does insist on pronouncing 'cache' as 'cash-AY', they are
>not only being very pretentious, but they are also wrong.

couldn't it mean "hidden", written cach(e)?
i don't see why you'd call a buffer "hidden", but i don't know why you'd
call it "hide" either.

Sun, 17 Feb 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 how is cache pronounced?

Not again :-(

Quote:

> >So if anyone does insist on pronouncing 'cache' as 'cash-AY', they are
> >not only being very pretentious, but they are also wrong.
> couldn't it mean "hidden", written cach(e)?

Why, when the noun "cache" already exists? Like:

cache  [kaG]
 1 nf hiding place, cache.
 2 nm cover, guard; Phot mask (for printing).

(phonetic alphabet doesn't come out in ASCII)

Quote:
> i don't see why you'd call a buffer "hidden", but i don't know why you'd
> call it "hide" either.

I don't think anyone ever suggested that "cache" means "hide". I may
have said that the verb "(se) cacher" means "to hide (oneself)".
Cach(e) is either an adjective or the past participle. If it is an
adjective, it needs a noun to go with (something has to be hidden). If
it is the past participle, it needs a verb to form a compound, like the
pass compos (to have hidden etc.).

Perhaps you are confusing it with "cachet" (almost the same
pronunciation as "cach"):

cachet  [kaGD] nm
 (a)mark, stamp; stamp, seal (on document);
 il a beaucoup de cachet, he has lots of style or a certain cachet;

Having style as in putting on pseud-like graces by pronouncing foreign
words in a way that accentuates their difference, even when they are not
pronounced that way.

[Not that there aren't French words in English that are mispronounced
are misused, but this isn't one of them.]

A bientot (j'espere que non, cette fois)
Paul

--
Paul Floyd      Focal Ingenierie Sud
Mail: paul underscore floyd at focal dot fr
Sig tagline under contemplation.

Mon, 18 Feb 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. I am not deaf, but am I mute?

2. How to pronounce AWK

3. How to pronounce 'awk'?

4. Trivia: How to pronounce Dylan?

5. How does one pronounce 'Gwydion'?

6. How to pronounce 'Dylan'?

7. Pesce: how do you pronounce that name?

8. why is the cdr pronounced could-er?

9. How is MASM pronounced?

10. How do you pronounce "char"?

11. How To Pronounce The Arrow Delimeter

12. How to pronounce Lahey