direct read/write to FLOPPY + WIN NT ?
Author Message
 direct read/write to FLOPPY + WIN NT ?

Am doing some foundation work into a project and
had all my interupt calls sorted out and planned.

Then I read SAMS PROGRAMMING NT and got the shock
when at the bottom of a page there is a footnote
that says the DOS of WIN NT is Dos 5 with modifications
but that it doesnt allow direct access to the disk.

Is there a way around this for floppies ??
or do i have to think of another project and start again ??

HELLLLLLLLLLLllllllp !

Paul K.

Tue, 23 Jul 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 direct read/write to FLOPPY + WIN NT ?

Quote:

> Am doing some foundation work into a project and
> had all my interupt calls sorted out and planned.

> Then I read SAMS PROGRAMMING NT and got the shock
> when at the bottom of a page there is a footnote
> that says the DOS of WIN NT is Dos 5 with modifications
> but that it doesnt allow direct access to the disk.

> Is there a way around this for floppies ??
> or do i have to think of another project and start again ??

Write your program as a native Win32 program.  Open a file named
"\\.\A:" and it'll allow you to access the floppy directly.  You have
to read and write in chunks that are a multiple of the sector size --
a large multiple is preferable as a rule (for the sake of speed).

--
    Later,
    Jerry.

Wed, 24 Jul 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 direct read/write to FLOPPY + WIN NT ?
John Fine's Partcopy program seems to work under NT4 for floppies...
Quote:

> Am doing some foundation work into a project and
> had all my interupt calls sorted out and planned.

> Then I read SAMS PROGRAMMING NT and got the shock
> when at the bottom of a page there is a footnote
> that says the DOS of WIN NT is Dos 5 with modifications
> but that it doesnt allow direct access to the disk.

> Is there a way around this for floppies ??
> or do i have to think of another project and start again ??

> HELLLLLLLLLLLllllllp !

> Paul K.

Thu, 25 Jul 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 direct read/write to FLOPPY + WIN NT ?

Win98/NT uses the v86 mode to emulate a simple 8088 thus running DOS as it
were a real 8086... the thing is that this mode is I/O sensitive and it only
can access 1mb as DOS did. In win98 I experience using the I/O of the sound
blaster very well but when Running any aplication that uses that I/O
port.... ie. the priviledge routines that uses that ports... my program fall
into an exception.
NT does the same with the DOS box... (v86) but it never allow I/O and other
sensitive operations...

try to do this....

hang-it:
            CLI
            JMP SHORT hang-it

in windows 98/95/96/ hopefully in millenium it will hang the whole machine.
in nt no!

try to run that in full DOS environment.... or try using BOCHS... or VMWARE
instead

hope this hepl

Sat, 27 Jul 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. direct read/write to FLOPPY + WIN NT ?

2. OK re: direct read/write to FLOPPY + WIN NT ?

3. OK re: direct read/write to FLOPPY + WIN NT ?

4. NT 4.0 and writing to floppy

5. Floppy read & write

6. How to read/write floppy disk through PORT ?

7. Code to Low-Level read/write to Floppy Disks

8. Toughie? Floppy read and DMA write problem

9. Need help reading/writing boot sector (floppy disk)

10. How to read/write floppy disk through PORT?

11. DMA and floppy reading/writing

12. Direct HW read/writes