how to make a self booting program
Author Message
 how to make a self booting program

Hello,

Quote:

>Hi all!
>  does anyone have an idea how to make a self booting program , let's say
>like command.com ,
>                    thanks
>                           Lennin

Command.com isn't self booting. It is started by io.sys which is
started by the bootsector which is started by the bios which is
started when power is applied to the computer.

Otherwise, just put

SHELL=program.com

in your config.sys, and this will start it. You could always write
your own operating system offcourse.

Greetings,
Wouter Dijkslag

Sun, 31 Dec 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 how to make a self booting program

Quote:

>Hi all!
>  does anyone have an idea how to make a self booting program , let's say
>like command.com ,

command.com is only the commando-interpreter of M$-Dos it is not
capable of booting a PC.
as far as i know command.com is load after config.sys is executed.
the config.sys is again is loades by msdos.sys which is loaded by
io.sys.
or is the io.sys loaded by msdos.sys?
but this is not so important because at the beginning there is always
the bootcode in the masterbootrecord on your harddisk or floppy.

so if you mean booting your system i think there were several posings
in this NG in he last days which could help

Lord Vader

Mon, 01 Jan 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 how to make a self booting program

Quote:

> Hello,

> >Hi all!
> >  does anyone have an idea how to make a self booting program [..]

> [...] Otherwise, just put
> SHELL=program.com
> in your config.sys, and this will start it. You could always write
> your own operating system offcourse.

What would be the difference in behaviour with writing:
COMSPEC=program.com    ?
  ____________
  \          /    Walter Baeck
   \ ALCATEL/     Alcatel Telecom
    \ BELL /      Switching Systems Division
     \    /       Microelectronics Design

       \/         Phone   : +32 3  240 73 86

Wed, 10 Jan 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 how to make a self booting program
Hello,

On Sat, 25 Jul 1998 20:44:36 +0200, Walter Baeck

Quote:

>> Hello,

>> >Hi all!
>> >  does anyone have an idea how to make a self booting program [..]

>> [...] Otherwise, just put
>> SHELL=program.com
>> in your config.sys, and this will start it. You could always write
>> your own operating system offcourse.

>What would be the difference in behaviour with writing:
>COMSPEC=program.com    ?

COMSPEC isn't supported for this. It might work in CONFIG.SYS (didn'
try), but the help of Win 98 (In the TOOLS\OLDMSDOS of your Win 95/98
CD) only talks about SHELL in config.sys.

If you use COMSPEC in the autoexec.bat, COMMAND.COM is already loaded.
If you'd make your own full version of COMMAND.COM,  this isn't very
good, since it would sit there using memory. If you'd just make an
'enhancer' program, like making a colored dir, but passing everything
this enhancer doesn't enhance back to COMMAND.COM, this is better
suited then the SHELL command.

Quote:
>  ____________
>  \          /    Walter Baeck
>   \ ALCATEL/     Alcatel Telecom
>    \ BELL /      Switching Systems Division
>     \    /       Microelectronics Design

>       \/         Phone   : +32 3  240 73 86

Greetings,
Wouter Dijkslag

Wed, 10 Jan 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 how to make a self booting program
How could I make my program after the first run, make itself self
booting? (without anything other than the program changing stuff)

code would be apprecated...

Andy

Thu, 15 Feb 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. self-booting pmode program written in assembler written in sh

2. MS-DOS Boot Sector & Boot Programs

3. Making a boot disk without Sys.com

4. Making the attribute 'self' preferred

5. Self Made Locator

6. Colors in "self-made" queue-browse

7. All this self dot is making me...

8. maybe a self made problem with win32all.exe

9. Pc Boot Direct:Boot Apps on PC Processor

10. Virus Boot - Boot virus - help

11. Warm Boot Program (Help!)

12. Warm Boot Program (Help!)