NASM-IDE problem
Author Message
 NASM-IDE problem

Hello.
        Has anybody used the NASM-IDE that comes on a CD with the book
'Assembly  Language Step-by-Step'
        second edition by Jeff Duntemann. I have seen the book recommened on
this news group.
        If i copy the ASM library onto my C drive as decribled and try to
invoke NASM-IDE from a DOS prompt i         get the error message. 'unable
to initialise file'. The message is coming from NASM-IDE because the
screen is cleared and the message written at the top and the the DOS prompt
appears on a new line.

www.inglenook.co.uk/rob/index.html but the site seems to be
having problems. Got the book+CD at XMAS so must be up to date.

                    .......paul

Mon, 07 Jul 2003 05:18:16 GMT
 NASM-IDE problem

Quote:

> Hello.
>         Has anybody used the NASM-IDE that comes on a CD with the book
> 'Assembly  Language Step-by-Step'
>         second edition by Jeff Duntemann. I have seen the book recommened
on
> this news group.

> www.inglenook.co.uk/rob/index.html but the site seems to be
> having problems. Got the book+CD at XMAS so must be up to date.

Sorry, Rob Anderton's Nasm-IDE site vanished for a long time ago.

to down or ask Jeff Duntemann.
You may try to use Alab (Assembly Lab) instead.

Quote:
>                     .......paul

by Rebel
ICQ #77901816
http://www.extra.hu/nasm

Mon, 07 Jul 2003 16:42:19 GMT
 NASM-IDE problem
Hi,

I'm pretty sure the problem you're experiencing is described on the author's
web site at http://www.duntemann.com/assembly.htm

Quote:
There he writes:

A fair number of people have written to say that they've been unable to run
NASM-IDE after copying it from the book's CD and then lowering all the Read
Only bits. (See the next errata item for more details on the Read-Only bit
issue.) When they attempt to run NASM-IDE, they get an error message on the
order of "Unable to initialise file." I'm not really sure what the problem
is, but the solution is simple: Don't use the copy of NASM-IDE on the CD at
all! Download NASM-IDE from the link on this page, below in my "Assembly
Language Downloads" section. Use that copy. Leave the other one on the CD.
Something's wrong with it, so let it pass, and use the one here. It's free
and it does all the same things.

( ftp://ftp.duntemann.com/nasmide.zip )

 This isn't exactly an error, except of omission: I forgot to tell you guys
to turn off the read-only bit on the files you transfer over from the CD!
All files stored on CD-ROM have their Read-Only bit set. This bit is not
automatically cleared when you copy the file to a hard disk using Windows
Explorer or DOS COPY. If you don't clear it, you'll have problems with any
file that must be written to, including both example program source files
and program log and INI files, etc. This will cause peculiar problems,
especially with NASM-IDE, and it's no fault of NASM-IDE's. The easy way to
do this is to multiple-highlight the files you copied from the CD after
they're on your hard drive and then right click to the Properties context
menu item. Un-check the Read-Only attribute check box. All files that were
highlighted will have their Read-Only bits cleared. And it should be
obvious, but note that you can't run the software off the CD-ROM.

-- Happy Computing,

Steve Gallo

Quote:
> Hello.
>         Has anybody used the NASM-IDE that comes on a CD with the book
> 'Assembly  Language Step-by-Step'
>         second edition by Jeff Duntemann. I have seen the book recommened
on
> this news group.
>         If i copy the ASM library onto my C drive as decribled and try to
> invoke NASM-IDE from a DOS prompt i         get the error message. 'unable
> to initialise file'. The message is coming from NASM-IDE because the
> screen is cleared and the message written at the top and the the DOS
prompt
> appears on a new line.

> www.inglenook.co.uk/rob/index.html but the site seems to be
> having problems. Got the book+CD at XMAS so must be up to date.

>                     .......paul

Tue, 08 Jul 2003 10:52:44 GMT
 NASM-IDE problem
I found this site for NASM http://www.web-sites.co.uk/nasm/
and NASM-IDE http://www.inglenook.co.uk/nasmide/

NASM can also be downloaded from ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/software/devel/

Quote:

> > Hello.
> >         Has anybody used the NASM-IDE that comes on a CD with the book
> > 'Assembly  Language Step-by-Step'
> >         second edition by Jeff Duntemann. I have seen the book recommened
> on
> > this news group.

> > www.inglenook.co.uk/rob/index.html but the site seems to be
> > having problems. Got the book+CD at XMAS so must be up to date.

> Sorry, Rob Anderton's Nasm-IDE site vanished for a long time ago.

> to down or ask Jeff Duntemann.
> You may try to use Alab (Assembly Lab) instead.

> >                     .......paul

> by Rebel
> ICQ #77901816
> http://www.extra.hu/nasm

Thu, 24 Jul 2003 20:11:39 GMT
 NASM-IDE problem

Quote:

> I found this site for NASM http://www.web-sites.co.uk/nasm/
> and NASM-IDE http://www.inglenook.co.uk/nasmide/

I can't get NasmIde from that site. I've put a copy of it on my site:

http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Heights/1295/

... way down at the bottom...

Best,
Frank