V86 mode & buffering help
Author Message
 V86 mode & buffering help

In v86 mode can you go into it in a 32-bit seg or do you have to jump
back to 16-bit seg? What is buffering?(Double,triple,etc?) and how its
it compared to page-fliping? Thanks!

Sun, 20 Dec 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 V86 mode & buffering help

Quote:

> In v86 mode can you go into it in a 32-bit seg or do you have to jump
> back to 16-bit seg? What is buffering?(Double,triple,etc?) and how its
> it compared to page-fliping? Thanks!

I don't understand you first question;

buffering has nothign to do with v86 mode ; the choice of video buffering depends on what you are doing, tell
us a bit more...

Tue, 22 Dec 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 V86 mode & buffering help

Quote:

> > In v86 mode can you go into it in a 32-bit seg or do you have to jump
> > back to 16-bit seg? What is buffering?(Double,triple,etc?) and how its
> > it compared to page-fliping? Thanks!

> I don't understand you first question;

> buffering has nothign to do with v86 mode ; the choice of video buffering depends on what you are doing, tell
> us a bit more...

Oh, They were to seprate questions. I saw a article about buffering and
was wondering what it was and how it compared to page fliping. I was also
wondering if, when you go into v86, and to do it from a 16-bit segment or
can you do it from a 32-bit seg?

Thanks!

Tue, 22 Dec 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 V86 mode & buffering help

Quote:

> > > In v86 mode can you go into it in a 32-bit seg or do you have to jump
> > > back to 16-bit seg? What is buffering?(Double,triple,etc?) and how its
> > > it compared to page-fliping? Thanks!

> > I don't understand you first question;

> > buffering has nothign to do with v86 mode ; the choice of video buffering depends on what you are doing, tell
> > us a bit more...

> Oh, They were to seprate questions. I saw a article about buffering and
> was wondering what it was and how it compared to page fliping. I was also
> wondering if, when you go into v86, and to do it from a 16-bit segment or
> can you do it from a 32-bit seg?

> Thanks!

you can switch to v86 from any kind of segment but a v86 task is in a 16bit seg.

flipping is using more than 1 video page; you update the one that is not displayed, then flip them, etc
buffering can be interpreted in different ways, but basically it means you have your video page in the main ram
and update it there before sending it to the video.
when you send it to the video, you can do it directly on the displayed page, uif the write is sync-ed and the
video board fast enough, it's ok; otherwise you've to send it to a second page in the video and flip them.
double and triple buffering depends on what you are doing; triple buffering is often used on scrolling+sprites
(turrican, super frog, etc) games, double buffering is well suited for single page + sprites games (bobble
bubble, pac man, etc)

Tue, 22 Dec 1998 03:00:00 GMT

1. V86 mode & buffering help

2. V86 mode verses 32bit mode

3. how to switch to real mode from V86 mode

4. v86 mode help please?

5. V86 mode - Help!

6. Mode buffer or mode out?

7. connecting port of mode OUT with port of mode BUFFER

8. v86 mode info needen

9. V86 mode

10. Breakdown of getting into v86 mode?

11. v86 mode info needen