copy dos/bios code for pmode use (can it be done)???
Author Message
 copy dos/bios code for pmode use (can it be done)???

Hi all,
Okay here's my problem:
I am in the middle of implementing my own user unfriendly
(hence fast and non-memory hoggin) operating system.
It works just about.
However i'm also studying (for my 4th year project) virus'
and usually have 20 instances of the same one in memory at a time,
This specific virus hoggs the keyboard interrupt amongst others.
therefore since my operating system is in protected mode, i have
to wait till each of the viruses ring prioritize their way through
mirroring the keyboeard interrupt and as a result typing anything at
the prompt takes ages,
what i want to know is simply could i copy the bios/dos interrupt code
for the keyboard interrupt handler into a segment in pmode and redirect
the hardware interrupt to it? if so i wouldn't have to exit pmode every
time a key is pressed thus slowing down the system (and 10 viruses)
incredibly.
sorry for the long unclear explanation,
any hints/info would be welcom
cheers,

DAZ

Tue, 22 Dec 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 copy dos/bios code for pmode use (can it be done)???

Quote:

> Hi all,
> Okay here's my problem:
> I am in the middle of implementing my own user unfriendly
> (hence fast and non-memory hoggin) operating system.
> It works just about.
> However i'm also studying (for my 4th year project) virus'
> and usually have 20 instances of the same one in memory at a time,
> This specific virus hoggs the keyboard interrupt amongst others.
> therefore since my operating system is in protected mode, i have
> to wait till each of the viruses ring prioritize their way through
> mirroring the keyboeard interrupt and as a result typing anything at
> the prompt takes ages,
> what i want to know is simply could i copy the bios/dos interrupt code
> for the keyboard interrupt handler into a segment in pmode and redirect
> the hardware interrupt to it? if so i wouldn't have to exit pmode every
> time a key is pressed thus slowing down the system (and 10 viruses)
> incredibly.
> sorry for the long unclear explanation,
> any hints/info would be welcom
> cheers,

> DAZ

of course you can't, the bios & dos runs in real mode, you can't run
them in protected mode, you have to switch down to real mode or create a
v86 task.

Wed, 23 Dec 1998 03:00:00 GMT

1. Using selectors under 32bits pmode with nasm (dos)

2. Using selectors under 32bits pmode with nasm (dos)

4. How can I used a internal DOS command like COPY

5. BIOS and pmode memory question

6. bios ints in pmode

7. BIOS & pmode

8. BIOS & Pmode