Virtual Device Driver
Author Message
 Virtual Device Driver

Someone posted a message about a virtual device driver. Can one be written
that would monitor a floppy drive use.

Sun, 03 Jul 2005 21:26:24 GMT
 Virtual Device Driver
| Someone posted a message about a virtual device driver. Can one be
| written that would monitor a floppy drive use.

Maybe. The way to answer that would be to get a copy of the Windows DDK and
try it out (http://www.microsoft.com/ddk/). The kind of virtual device
driver I and others were talking about earlier only applies to the Windows
NT series, though.

--
Tim Robinson, MVP (Windows SDK)
http://www.themobius.co.uk/

Sun, 03 Jul 2005 22:40:08 GMT
 Virtual Device Driver

For Win 98, it requires * Microsoft Windows 98 operating system Gold release.
Never heard of that version.

Quote:
>Maybe. The way to answer that would be to get a copy of the Windows DDK
and
>try it out (http://www.microsoft.com/ddk/). The kind of virtual device
>driver I and others were talking about earlier only applies to the Windows
>NT series, though.

>--
>Tim Robinson, MVP (Windows SDK)
>http://www.themobius.co.uk/

Sun, 03 Jul 2005 22:57:38 GMT
 Virtual Device Driver
| For Win 98, it requires * Microsoft Windows 98 operating system Gold
| release. Never heard of that version.

Me neither. Is this the DDK itself you're looking at? I think 'Gold' here
means 'not Win98 SE'.

--
Tim Robinson, MVP (Windows SDK)
http://www.themobius.co.uk/

Mon, 04 Jul 2005 00:02:12 GMT
 Virtual Device Driver

says...

Quote:

> For Win 98, it requires * Microsoft Windows 98 operating system Gold release.
> Never heard of that version.

The "Gold" release just means the version that gets shipped to
consumers.  To support devices right when the OS ships, MS ships betas
of the DDK and the OS to device manufacturers and such.  Shortly before
final release to the public, they ship a "gold" copy of the OS along
with a matching DDK so manufacturers can do a final build of their
driver to be included on the CD-ROM along with the OS itself when MS
ships it.  The note is basically just a reminder that this DDK isn't
intended to be used with a beta version of the OS.

--
    Later,
    Jerry.

Mon, 04 Jul 2005 04:47:54 GMT
 Virtual Device Driver

Quote:

> says...

> > For Win 98, it requires * Microsoft Windows 98 operating system Gold
release.
> > Never heard of that version.

> The "Gold" release just means the version that gets shipped to
> consumers.  To support devices right when the OS ships, MS ships betas
> of the DDK and the OS to device manufacturers and such.  Shortly before
> final release to the public, they ship a "gold" copy of the OS along
> with a matching DDK so manufacturers can do a final build of their
> driver to be included on the CD-ROM along with the OS itself when MS
> ships it.  The note is basically just a reminder that this DDK isn't
> intended to be used with a beta version of the OS.

> --
>     Later,
>     Jerry.

> The universe is a figment of its own imagination.

The "Gold" in the name of course comes from using golden CD-R media for this
initial shipment, while waiting for the volume CD-ROM production to start.

Bo Persson

Mon, 04 Jul 2005 05:13:10 GMT

1. Virtual Device Driver (Windows)

2. Writing a virtual disk device driver

3. Debuggin embedded python: building device drivers for an embedded python virtual machine

4. Real-Time Embedded OS Device Drivers for LAN/WAN Devices

5. Real-Time Embedded OS Device Drivers for LAN/WAN Devices

6. virtual device lv5.0

7. Device Driver: from Apple III BASIC to IBM BASIC

8. LabVIEW used for Device Drivers

9. Labview driver for Analog Device cards RTI 800 series

10. drivers for Analog Devices RTI-815

11. Looking for Alternate Device Terminal Drivers Specs

12. Network/UNIX Device Driver Engineers - Rockville, MD