Changing file attributes from FPW 2.6 and FPD 2.6??
Author Message
 Changing file attributes from FPW 2.6 and FPD 2.6??

I need to write a program capable of changing the file attribtues at a
low level in FPW 2.6 and FPD 2.6. It is easy enough to gather the
current attributes of files using the ADIR() function, but changing them
is another matter.
I obviously can use a RUN ATTRIB %1 type command, but I would like the
execution to be faster and cleaner than that, especially under Windows
where a RUN command needs to invoke a DOS machine. I am just getting
started in C++ programming and hope to get involved in assembler as
well, but I don't have enough programming experience in those to hack
out code quickly. I looked for a native Windows API function among the
1500 or so to change file attributes natively, but found nothing that
could fo this (several of them could detect a file's attributes,
however).
So I guess there are several ways to approach this. I perhaps could
create a library in C++/asm and use the library construction kit to use
it with FoxPro. I would like to keep the code relatively small so the
porting between DOS and Windows (and Mac if applicable) platforms is
relatively easy.
Let me hear some of your suggestions!

Thanks!

Sean S.                       | "The ideas herein expressed do

Sun, 17 Aug 1997 04:54:14 GMT
 Changing file attributes from FPW 2.6 and FPD 2.6??

writes:

Quote:

>I need to write a program capable of changing the file attribtues at a
>low level in FPW 2.6 and FPD 2.6. It is easy enough to gather the
>current attributes of files using the ADIR() function, but changing
them
>is another matter.
>I obviously can use a RUN ATTRIB %1 type command, but I would like the
>execution to be faster and cleaner than that, especially under Windows
>where a RUN command needs to invoke a DOS machine. I am just getting
>started in C++ programming and hope to get involved in assembler as
>well, but I don't have enough programming experience in those to hack
>out code quickly. I looked for a native Windows API function among the
>1500 or so to change file attributes natively, but found nothing that
>could fo this (several of them could detect a file's attributes,
>however).
>So I guess there are several ways to approach this. I perhaps could
>create a library in C++/asm and use the library construction kit to use
>it with FoxPro. I would like to keep the code relatively small so the
>porting between DOS and Windows (and Mac if applicable) platforms is
>relatively easy.
>Let me hear some of your suggestions!

>Thanks!

>--
>Sean S.                       | "The ideas herein expressed do

Please don't flame me for posting this question more than once. I have
no idea what that lighthouse.com {*filter*}is all about. I posted it only
once, I don't have an account at lighthouse.com, and therefore have no
idea what that's all about. I've noticed a few other posters who have
their posts echoed with the lighthouse.com domain name - what the hell
is going on?

P.S. Hopefully this post won't get echoed too. <g>

Sean S.                       | "The ideas herein expressed do

Mon, 18 Aug 1997 06:33:49 GMT

1. Changing file attributes from FPW 2.6 and FPD 2.6??

2. FOXPRO 2.6 FILE DRIVER QUESTION

3. FOXPRO 2.6 file driver

4. Foxpro 2.6 .FRX files

5. FoxPro 2.6 FRX Report Files

6. RDD for FoxPro 2.6 index files

7. tcl 8.0 mishandles large files in Solaris 2.6

8. access foxpro 2.6 file

9. Bottom Feeder 2.6 Released

10. Smalltalk MT 2.6 Preview

11. T-gen 2.1 for Smalltalk MT VC 2.6 released

12. Old awk on Solaris 2.6 & no error