gcc Arg List Too Long
Author Message
 gcc Arg List Too Long

When trying to build my executable, I get an error from gcc
during the link phase that says my argument list is too long.
Is there anyway to get around this without building archives?
Does anyone have a step-by-step explanation of how to build
and use archives in the gnat process?

Thanks,
Tony

  vcard.vcf
< 1K Download

Sun, 06 May 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 gcc Arg List Too Long

Quote:

> When trying to build my executable, I get an error from gcc
> during the link phase that says my argument list is too long.
> Is there anyway to get around this without building archives?
> Does anyone have a step-by-step explanation of how to build
> and use archives in the gnat process?

> Thanks,
> Tony

>   ------------------------------------------------------------------------

>   Senior Software Engineer
>   ELMCO, Inc.

>   Anthony E. Glover

>   ELMCO, Inc.
>                             Netscape Conference Address
>                             Netscape Conference DLS Server
>   Additional Information:
>   Last Name   Glover
>   First Name  Anthony E.
>   Version     2.1

 Do you use gnatmake for your builds ?  We have some 2500 object files, and
growing, and build without any problem.

Pete.

--
Pete Norton
Marconi Electronic Systems

Mon, 07 May 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 gcc Arg List Too Long

Quote:

> > When trying to build my executable, I get an error from gcc
> > during the link phase that says my argument list is too long.
> > Is there anyway to get around this without building archives?
> > Does anyone have a step-by-step explanation of how to build
> > and use archives in the gnat process?

>  Do you use gnatmake for your builds ?  We have some 2500 object files, and
> growing, and build without any problem.

I think this depends on the OS? no trouble, I think, on Solaris or
Linux, but others (HP????) have problems ..

If I remember right, an upcoming release of GNAT will handle this
problem for you.

Thu, 10 May 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 gcc Arg List Too Long

Thanks for the responses.  With the help of SGI, we have adjusted a
system tunable parameter called NCARGS.  This parameter controls
the size (in bytes) of argument data.  Once this parameter was
bumped up, everything seems to work o.k.  If anyone has a similar
problem, the command 'systune' can be used to adjust the parameter
value.

Thanks,
Tony

  vcard.vcf
< 1K Download

Sat, 12 May 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. unknown error : arg list too long

2. Arg, parse arg, command line, and ?

3. Changing actual arg via intent(in) formal arg in F90

4. dynamic method addition, problem with arg=arg in lambdas (was:

5. dynamic method addition, problem with arg=arg in lambdas (was:

6. Passing dict-type arg list to 2nd func??

7. calling superclass' method with list positional arg

8. subroutine Arg. List Limit

9. variable arg list to tk_optionMenu

10. VARYING attribute for dealing with Fortran variable arg list

11. Multiple scanning of variable arg list.

12. Need help with Tcl7.6/Tk4.2, gcc, FORTRAN/C/C++ shared libraries (LONG)