<none>
Author Message
 <none>

Subject:  How do you (or would you) implement fork() in Ada???
Disclaimer:  All views are my own, and do not reflect the views of SAIC.

TASKS ARE NOT THE ONLY WAY OF ... CONCURRENT ADA PROGRAMS

Because our group is having a little X-Ada-Unix program in the making,
we have the need for another approach.  So, I thought of asking help
from people who know alot about Ada.

Heres the problem:

A 'callback' is added to a button (X Window System).  This callback
is an Ada procedure.  It must do slow SQL things.  We do not want the
GUI to wait for this to complete.  Instead, we want (through some
mechanism in Ada) the procedure, task or ???? to do its thing, and
then send raise an event 'got_SQL_stuff_event' to the GUI.

In 'C' you could do a fork with the parent not waiting for the
child to finish.

Insights, thoughts, criticisms are welcomed, encouraged but will not
be paid for except by our undying gratitude!

Marci Khader
SAIC

Fri, 16 Sep 1994 19:03:59 GMT

1. <none>