GNAT Discrimination
Author Message
 GNAT Discrimination

To: Prof. Mike Feldman & Other GNAT Developers
From: Bob Leif
Date: 2 January, 1996
Subject: GNAT Discrimination

You have developed many useful tools (goodies), that are hosted under GNAT.
In the future, Thomson and other compiler vendors will have an Ada 95, which
Ada_Med and others will use.  It would be appropriate to split out all of
the tools which are not GNAT specific to permit their use with other Ada
compilers.  This would be consistent with our advertising to the world that
Ada 95 is the most portable language.  Which of the tools can be either
directly used or recompiled under Windows 95?

The tools that can be recompiled under Windows 95 should be made available
to the other compiler vendors for either inclusion with their products or
for testing.

Robert C. Leif, Ph.D., PMIAC,
Vice President & Research Director
Ada_Med, A Division of Newport Instruments
5648 Toyon Road
San Diego, CA 92115-1022
Tel. & Fax (619) 582-0437

Sat, 20 Jun 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 GNAT Discrimination
Robert Lief says

"You have developed many useful tools (goodies), that are hosted under GNAT.
 In the future, Thomson and other compiler vendors will have an Ada 95, which
 Ada_Med and others will use.  It would be appropriate to split out all of
 the tools which are not GNAT specific to permit their use with other Ada
 compilers.  This would be consistent with our advertising to the world that
 Ada 95 is the most portable language.  Which of the tools can be either
 directly used or recompiled under Windows 95?

 The tools that can be recompiled under Windows 95 should be made available
 to the other compiler vendors for either inclusion with their products or
 for testing."

Well I am not quite sure why this was addressed to Mike Feldman, who can
answer for himself. I am also not quite sure what tools Robert Lief is
asking about. Certainly all the code is available under the GPL, and is
free for use consistent with these license restrictions.

Certainly I do not think ACT is going to go to special efforts to adapt
these tools for use in competitive products. If Ada Med wants to use
Tompson products that's fine, that's what competition is about, but if
some extra work is needed to use some GNAT tools, I think you should ask
Tompson to do the extra work that is needed!

I don't think it is reasonable to refer to our failure to do free work
for our competitors as discrimination. After all they do even permit the
possibilility of adapting their sources for use with GNAT!

Sat, 20 Jun 1998 03:00:00 GMT

1. Discrimination/F ?

2. Age Discrimination

3. Price Discrimination

4. Published story on age discrimination

5. Repost: The algorithms for model discrimination needed

6. Algorithms for model discrimination

7. Next Generation GNAT ... GNAT Pro 5.00a

8. Status of GCC-GNAT versus GNAT 3.14-3.15

9. Bug in GNAT.Socket.Check_Selector in GNAT 3.14 Linux runtime

10. source for Gnat and gnat- Glade

11. Gnat Chat, Random Numbers in GNAT

12. GNAT probem (should have been on chat@gnat)