Ada95 language design question (accessibility rules and type extensions)
Author Message
 Ada95 language design question (accessibility rules and type extensions)

The invocation of accessibility rules in RM 3.9.1(3) is designed to prevent
dangling dispatch.  It seems to me that another way would have been to
disallow assignment of a tagged type to the classwide type of a statically
shallower parent.  Does anyone know why that would not have worked?

What got me started thinking on this was the common complaint about the
implementation of controlledness, and the ramification of this rule that
controlled types can't be declared deeper than library-level...

-- mark
--------------
Reply by email to: Mark dot Lundquist at ACM dot org
Consulting services: http://www.*-*-*.com/ ~mlundquist2/consulting

Sun, 06 Jun 2004 02:27:21 GMT
 Ada95 language design question (accessibility rules and type extensions)
I think the answer to your question, Mark, is that something like what you
suggest would have worked, but (the designers feared?) it would have ended
up with a lot of code with dynamic checks in it. I guess the designers felt
uncomfortable with this happening, and that the existing rules were not a
problem in practice (and they generally aren't).

But IANALL (I Am Not A Language Lawyer ;-) and a comment from one of the 9X
design team would be interesting.

--
Nick Roberts

Quote:
> The invocation of accessibility rules in RM 3.9.1(3) is designed to
prevent
> dangling dispatch.  It seems to me that another way would have been to
> disallow assignment of a tagged type to the classwide type of a statically
> shallower parent.  Does anyone know why that would not have worked?

> What got me started thinking on this was the common complaint about the
> implementation of controlledness, and the ramification of this rule that
> controlled types can't be declared deeper than library-level...

Tue, 08 Jun 2004 06:13:05 GMT

1. tagged types extensions - language design question

2. Accessibility Rules

3. Library Level & accessibility rules

4. Guidance on accessibility level rules

5. Some Software Design Rules and Some eiffel language suggestions

6. New User Question: extension types and python 2.2/class/type

7. Accessibility level of a record extension????

8. Design question: Interpreting rules in Tcl

9. Question for the folks who designed Ada95

10. language rules question: using a (passed in) parameter to define a parameter

11. Syntactic Extensions to Typed languages

12. Language Design (Re: Dylan type-safety )