Porting GNAT to NetBSD/68k
Author Message
 Porting GNAT to NetBSD/68k

I'm not quite sure if I'm going to have time to do this real soon,  so
this might be a slightly academic question.

Tell me if this is a sensible plan of attack.

0.  Install a more modern GCC on the NetBSD/68k machine so that I'll
have a decent RTL back-end.  (Currently it's gcc 2.4.5 running under
NetBSD1.1 on a macintosh).

     +----------+       +---------+
     |NetBSD/68k|       |x86 Linux|
     +----------+       +---------+
     |68k gcc   |       |x86 gcc  |
     +----------+       +---------+

1.  Build a 68k GCC cross-compiler under x86 Linux (My only non-68k
machine).

     +----------+       +---------+
     |NetBSD/68k|       |x86 Linux|
     +----------+       +---------+
     |68k gcc   |       |x86 gcc  |
     +----------+       |68k gcc  |
                        +---------+

2.  Install GNAT over the 68k-gcc.  (Is this as simple as it sounds?.

     +----------+       +---------+
     |NetBSD/68k|       |x86 Linux|
     +----------+       +---------+
     |68k gcc   |       |x86 gcc  |
     +----------+       |68k gcc  |
                        |68k GNAT |
                        +---------+

3.  Take the source to the x86-NetBSD GNAT run-time libraries
and compile it with the Linux-hosted 68k-GNAT compiler.

     +----------+       +---------+
     |NetBSD/68k|       |x86 Linux|
     +----------+       +---------+
     |68k gcc   |       |x86 gcc  |
     |BSD rts   |       |68k gcc  |
     +----------+       |68k GNAT |
                        +---------+

4.  Use the Linux-hosted GNAT to compile GNAT for NetBSD.

     +----------+       +---------+
     |NetBSD/68k|       |x86 Linux|
     +----------+       +---------+
     |68k gcc   |       |x86 gcc  |
     |BSD rts   |       |68k gcc  |
     |GNAT      |       |68k GNAT |
     +----------+       +---------+

5.  Install this GNAT over gcc.

6  (Optionally).  Compile the compiler itself to make sure it's
capable of it and hasn't suffered bit rot.

As far as I can tell,  the only tricky part is building the cross
compiler.  Would it be easier if I hosted it on an x86-NetBSD machine?
Is building a GNAT cross compiler difficult?

--

   - predictions of the future - quantum computers - silly poetry  -
   - the "langue musicale universale" (Solresol)  revival project  -

Mon, 08 Mar 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. porting squeak to NetBSD on mac68k

2. GNAT-2.00 for FreeBSD 1.1.5, NetBSD and BSDI386 available

3. GNAT SUN3s and NetBSD

4. GNAT for NetBSD

5. GNAT on NetBSD

6. GNAT 68k cross on Linux?

7. GNAT on the Macintosh: 68k status

8. GNAT cross-target to 68K's ?

9. GNAT for 68k embedded target

10. Porting the GNAT runtime to an embedded target

11. Porting GNAT to Debian Hurd

12. Need Help Porting Gnat to S390