In support of GNAT
Author Message
 In support of GNAT

Quote:

>And if Robert sells his services to maintain it good for
>him.  What's the difference between this and the Federal
>job retraining program where taxpayer's money is used to
>train workers to then work in commercial industry (and pay
>income taxes, and pay and pay :-)  ).

Hear hear.  If I were running an Ada software company, and
Robert came knocking on the door looking for a job, there'd
be no way I'd even let him leave the building.

Del

Mon, 17 Feb 1997 08:04:34 GMT
 In support of GNAT

Quote:

>>And if Robert sells his services to maintain it good for
>>him.  What's the difference between this and the Federal
>>job retraining program where taxpayer's money is used to
>>train workers to then work in commercial industry (and pay
>>income taxes, and pay and pay :-)  ).

>Hear hear.  If I were running an Ada software company, and
>Robert came knocking on the door looking for a job, there'd
>be no way I'd even let him leave the building.

Some wouldn't let him in! (Just kidding, Robert :-)

--
Proud (and vocal) member of Team Ada! (and Team OS/2)        ||This is not your
<Witty, but politically correct, comment under construction> ||  father's Ada

Mon, 17 Feb 1997 20:17:17 GMT
 In support of GNAT

  > Hear hear.  If I were running an Ada software company, and
  > Robert came knocking on the door looking for a job, there'd
  > be no way I'd even let him leave the building.

   Interesting approach to pinning Robert Dewar down, but don't you
think he would miss all that flying around?  Maybe when Iridium is
completed you could use it to tie his laptop to your network...

   (I tried to count the number of different cities where I've seen
Robert working on the GNAT front end, and ran out of fingers.  In
fact, I wonder how much of that compiler was actually written above
30,000 feet.)

--

                                        Robert I. Eachus

with Standard_Disclaimer;
use  Standard_Disclaimer;

Mon, 17 Feb 1997 17:54:37 GMT
 In support of GNAT

Quote:

>>And if Robert sells his services to maintain it good for
>>him.  What's the difference between this and the Federal
>>job retraining program where taxpayer's money is used to
>>train workers to then work in commercial industry (and pay
>>income taxes, and pay and pay :-)  ).

>Hear hear.  If I were running an Ada software company, and
>Robert came knocking on the door looking for a job, there'd
>be no way I'd even let him leave the building.

I think this discussion emphasizes the point I made in my article
"Software is a product...NOT!" in _IEEE Computer_ (September 1992).  We
have to think of software as a service activity.  Delivery of a
"software product" is only delivery of a tool that will help us do some
tasks.  Its worth comes in the results it delivers to us.  Software as
a service may take the form of giving assistance in using the tool.  Or
it may come in improving it to serve new needs.

If we learn to plan our efforts and budgets with this view (from the
sides of both producer and consumer), we'll get a better fix on the
true nature of the value and cost of software.  Robert seems to be
implementing this model quite well.

NCCOSC RDT&E Division (NRaD) Code 4123           San Diego CA 92152-7560
Voice: (619) 553-4080         FAX: (619) 553-4808          DSN: 553-4080
   [Until January 1992 we were the Naval Ocean Systems Center (NOSC)]

Mon, 17 Feb 1997 19:36:06 GMT
 In support of GNAT

Quote:
>   (I tried to count the number of different cities where I've seen
>Robert working on the GNAT front end, and ran out of fingers.  In
>fact, I wonder how much of that compiler was actually written above
>30,000 feet.)

Lots of us have "Robert stories", I suppose. Mine is that he is the
most amazing multiprocessor I've ever met, or heard of. He is able
to sit around a table, having an animated discussion, while his fingers
are tapping away on the laptop keyboard, reading mail or even tweaking
the front end...:-)

I've spoken to him on the phone and heard his keyboard clicking while
we were speaking - indeed, while _he_ was speaking.

What was that Steve Martin movie? "The Man with Two Brains"? :-) :-)

All in good fun...

Mike Feldman

Mon, 17 Feb 1997 23:53:19 GMT
 In support of GNAT
Gosh Dave, if my choice is between buildings that will let me in and never
let me out, and those that won't let me in in the first place, maybe I
prefer the second!

Tue, 18 Feb 1997 00:05:41 GMT

1. Low-end processor supported by gnat/gcc

2. Commercial support for GNAT

3. shared library support for GNAT.

4. Commercial use and support of GNAT - Opinions Wanted

5. gnat 3.14 RAW Socket support ?

6. Gnat and gprof support

7. GNAT Support Costs

8. Mouse and/or VGA Support Package for GNAT/MS DOS

9. Does GNAT support tasking yet?

10. ANNOUNCE: tkgnats-3.0.3 - GNATS Network and Win95/NT support

11. Next Generation GNAT ... GNAT Pro 5.00a

12. Status of GCC-GNAT versus GNAT 3.14-3.15