napster for journal articles
Author Message
 napster for journal articles

Obligatory Ada reference:  I was looking for articles on
longest common subsequence algorithm because I wanted to
understand why Unix and Clearcase diff utilities are so
bad.  They work on lines when they could just as easily
work on language tokens or words or characters.

Then, I wondered...

What would it take to create something like Napster for
finding/sharing journal articles?

The most obvious obstacle is that the copyrights often
belong to IEEE, ACM, and other publishers who want to make
money on their digital libraries.

For you who have published or are familiar with the
publishing world:  Does the author ever or often retain
rights to share a copy of the article with others as a
document separate from the original published journal?

--
Terry J. Westley, Software Systems Engineering Supervisor
Veridian Engineering, Calspan Operations

Author of TASH, an Ada binding to Tcl/Tk.
Visit the TASH web site at http://www.*-*-*.com/ .

Sun, 17 Nov 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 napster for journal articles

Quote:
> What would it take to create something like Napster for
> finding/sharing journal articles?

Great idea. We could call it "gopher". ;-)

--
T.E.D.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Mon, 18 Nov 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. Help Find Wall Street Journal Article

2. Dr. Dobb's Journal Forth Article

3. Why online libraries do not provide journal articles?

4. PyCon article (Linux Journal)

5. Linux Journal Ruby article

6. Ruby article in March 2002 Linux Journal

7. E-Journal article using VRML, take a test drive

8. Ada Article in "COTS Journal"

9. Ada article in Linux Journal

10. Articles needed for APJ (Assembly Programming Journal)

11. Articles needed for APJ (Assembly Programming Journal)

12. Ada User Journal - papers and articles wanted