Making object code libraries
Author Message
 Making object code libraries

I am trying to take part of a large existing Ada software system
(thousands of modules, several different executable parts, mixed with
some C and fortran, etc.) and make an object code library out of an Ada
library.  I need to be able to link the rest of the system with this
library, and our customer must be able to change other parts of the
system and recompile and relink.

The problem: VADS on SGI will not, by default, place package bodies that
require elaboration in the objlib.  You can force it to do it, but the
man page for a.ar says that the elaboration code will not be executed
for such a unit and, thus, "your program may be erroneous".

The consensus here is that your Ada code must be designed with this in
mind from the start, and not require elaboration of units placed in the
objlib, in order for this to work.

Any other ideas/experiences?

Thanks.

Opinions are my own, not my employer's.

Tue, 29 Aug 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Making object code libraries

We have had little to no luck with making a single library as you
mentioned. Over the last 3 years, we have been inserting the C, and Fortran
libraries into the Ada path with a.info -a "..." on our SGI system. This
has worked fine (ignoring the problems with dynamic memory allocation
{*filter*} the Fortran).

bob

Quote:
> I am trying to take part of a large existing Ada software system
> (thousands of modules, several different executable parts, mixed with
> some C and FORTRAN, etc.) and make an object code library out of an Ada
> library.  I need to be able to link the rest of the system with this
> library, and our customer must be able to change other parts of the
> system and recompile and relink.

> The problem: VADS on SGI will not, by default, place package bodies that
> require elaboration in the objlib.  You can force it to do it, but the
> man page for a.ar says that the elaboration code will not be executed
> for such a unit and, thus, "your program may be erroneous".

> The consensus here is that your Ada code must be designed with this in
> mind from the start, and not require elaboration of units placed in the
> objlib, in order for this to work.

Wed, 30 Aug 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. making C++ libraries available to C/lisp code

2. converting 16 bit object code to 32 bit object code

3. object libraries with GNAT code.

4. Python Expert Library and object code?

5. Link NAG numerical libraries with object code generated by F90

6. function-objects and code-objects ( was: re-creating objects and security )

7. Making std asm code into Turbo Asm code?

8. Does anybody knows who made SilverClip library..

9. Making Own Library

10. Making Own Library

11. Making of VI libraries

12. Making C Dll with Ada libraries