ANNOUNCE- AWS - Ada Web Server (v0.3) 
Author Message
 ANNOUNCE- AWS - Ada Web Server (v0.3)

This is to announce that there is a new version of my AWS
package on my homepage. This is certainly the first usable
version.

What's new:
- connection through proxy
- authentification through proxy
- Basic authentification supported (base64 algorithm)
- binary data supported for HTTP/1.0 clients
  (like Netcape 4.6 browsers)
- implement If-Modified-Since
- almost clean scheme to close the connection on a HTTP/1.1
  persistent connection.
- chunked protocol implemented

What's needed to build:
- a POSIX binding (see my homepage for a Win32 implementation,
  look for Florist if you are under UNIX).
- an Ada95 compiler
- a socket binding (If you are under UNIX you'll have to slightly change
  AWS as the Win32 Sockets binding is a bit different)

BTW, I've been really surprised to found out that the Web "Basic"
authentification is not at all secure. This is just a base64 encoded
"user:pws" string! Use a base64 decoder (10 lines of Ada see AWS
sources) and you get both the user name and the password :)

Enjoy,
Pascal.

--

--|------------------------------------------------------
--| Pascal Obry                           Team-Ada Member
--| 45, rue Gabriel Peri - 78114 Magny Les Hameaux FRANCE
--|------------------------------------------------------
--| http://www.*-*-*.com/
--|
--| "The best way to travel is by means of imagination"



Sat, 06 Jul 2002 03:00:00 GMT  
 ANNOUNCE- AWS - Ada Web Server (v0.3)


Quote:
> BTW, I've been really surprised to found out that the Web "Basic"
> authentification is not at all secure. This is just a base64 encoded
> "user:pws" string! Use a base64 decoder (10 lines of Ada see AWS
> sources) and you get both the user name and the password :)

I found this little ditty in the Apache FAQ:

Web authentication passwords (at least for Basic authentication)
generally fly across the wire, and through intermediate proxy systems,
in what amounts to plaintext. "O'er the net we go/Caching all the way;/O
what fun it is to surf/Giving my password away!"

I think I've seen a longer version somewhere.

--
T.E.D.

http://www.telepath.com/~dennison/Ted/TED.html

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.



Sun, 07 Jul 2002 03:00:00 GMT  
 ANNOUNCE- AWS - Ada Web Server (v0.3)

Quote:



> > BTW, I've been really surprised to found out that the Web "Basic"
> > authentification is not at all secure. This is just a base64 encoded
> > "user:pws" string! Use a base64 decoder (10 lines of Ada see AWS
> > sources) and you get both the user name and the password :)

> I found this little ditty in the Apache FAQ:

> Web authentication passwords (at least for Basic authentication)
> generally fly across the wire, and through intermediate proxy systems,
> in what amounts to plaintext. "O'er the net we go/Caching all the way;/O
> what fun it is to surf/Giving my password away!"

> I think I've seen a longer version somewhere.

This is why before you type your password, you should check that
the page asking for it is using SSL (i.e. "https://...).  SSL hides
your password until it reaches the destination.

Quote:

> --
> T.E.D.

> http://www.telepath.com/~dennison/Ted/TED.html

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

--

Technical Director, Distributed IT Solutions  (www.averstar.com/tools)
AverStar (formerly Intermetrics, Inc.)   Burlington, MA  USA


Mon, 08 Jul 2002 03:00:00 GMT  
 
 [ 3 post ] 

 Relevant Pages 

1. ANNOUNCE: AWS v0.5 (Ada Web Server)

2. ANNOUNCE: AWS an Ada Web Server

3. - AWS (Ada Web Server) version 0.10

4. - New AWS (Ada Web Server) version (0.9.11)

5. AWS an all Ada Web Server

6. ANNOUNCEMENT: new version of AWS (v0.6)

7. ANNOUNCE: TclNNTPD v0.9 (alpha) News Server

8. New Ada Jobs page on Ada-Belgium Web-server

9. Announce: AdaGMP V0.1 - Ada binding to GNU Multiprecision library

10. Generic Server for Dolphin now has web server with ST servlets and ST server pages

11. ANNOUNCE: web2ldap.py 0.7.9 - web gateway for accessing LDAP servers

12. ANNOUNCE: web2ldap.py 0.7.8 - web gateway for accessing LDAP servers

 

 
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software