XWINDOWS with ADA on PC
Author Message
 XWINDOWS with ADA on PC

Hello,

Do you know if an xwindows interface exists for ada on PC.
I work in my school with an adaptation of a c library in ada on vax 3100
machines and would find good to do the same at home

Thanks,

Walter

Tue, 12 Jul 1994 00:41:53 GMT
 XWINDOWS with ADA on PC

Quote:

>Hello,
>Do you know if an xwindows interface exists for ada on PC.
>I work in my school with an adaptation of a c library in ada on vax 3100
>machines and would find good to do the same at home
>Thanks,
>Walter

My knowledge of Ada bindings are as follows:

--STARS Ada bindings that work on Sun and are extremely
machine specific  (boo hiss.)

--DECWindows Ada binding on the VAX that is...yes, you
guessed it, DEC specific.  (Also may exist on the Ultrix
boxes, but I'm not sure.)

--Rational's proposed generalized Ada VERSION of X.
Needless to say, it has to be fully implemented on
each platform, and must be upgraded as X is redefined.

This is a general trouble spot for Ada, as are other
bindings which are generally only found to the C
world.  IBM is preparing an X Window System Client
as part of the Space Station's Master Object Database
that is done entirely in C.  When they were asked
why they didn't use Ada, they responded that bindings
didn't exist that supported their platforms.

--
Greg Harvey                     Lockheed Engineering & Sciences Company

Houston, Texas                                          +1 713 283 5188

Mon, 18 Jul 1994 08:13:36 GMT
 XWINDOWS with ADA on PC

To continue the thread:

Quote:

> My knowledge of Ada bindings are as follows:

>   (blah blah deleted ... )

> This is a general trouble spot for Ada, as are other
> bindings which are generally only found to the C
> world.

>   (more blah blah deleted ... )

Related to this subject, has anyone seen the December '91
version of the Ada IC Newsletter which outlined the Bindings
projected supported by DoD in FY 91.  In particular, what's
the deal with the Common Ada/X-Windows Interface (CAXI) project
which was supposed to provide the *common* Ada interface
to Xt and Motif ?  The STARS bindings were available before '91,
so we're rather confused as to what the heck this project is
all about.  Is it a carry-on of the STARS work ? Is it a separate
project ?

More important ... has anyone considered an Ada tasking safe set
of bindings for Xt and Motif ?  (yes that's correct, Xt and Motif
are NOT Ada tasking safe !!! )

Making the Ada Xt/Motif bindings tasking safe is not a big deal,
with a little help from the compiler vendors to let us access the
Ada RTS...

John Goodsen
SETT, Inc.

Mon, 18 Jul 1994 12:29:35 GMT
 XWINDOWS with ADA on PC

Quote:
>To continue the thread:

>> My knowledge of Ada bindings are as follows:

>>   (blah blah deleted ... )

>> This is a general trouble spot for Ada, as are other
>> bindings which are generally only found to the C
>> world.

>>   (more blah blah deleted ... )

>Related to this subject, has anyone seen the December '91
>version of the Ada IC Newsletter which outlined the Bindings
>projected supported by DoD in FY 91.  In particular, what's
>the deal with the Common Ada/X-Windows Interface (CAXI) project
>which was supposed to provide the *common* Ada interface
>to Xt and Motif ?  The STARS bindings were available before '91,
>so we're rather confused as to what the heck this project is
>all about.  Is it a carry-on of the STARS work ? Is it a separate
>project ?

One point to note here - the Ada IC Newsletter indicated that Meridian
had produced a binding to CDIF - but a phone call to Meridian showed that
they had a CASE tool that supported CDIF. Period. Not knocking Meridian -
rather the point here is that the Ada IC Newsletter may not always be
accurate, and one should keep that in mind when referring to it.

Regarding the bindings themselves: I have heard horror stories about
one implementation, where all Ada procedures were encapsulated in tasks,
and pointers to those tasks were used to pass to X for the call-back.
That's one way to do it, but jeez!

Quote:
>More important ... has anyone considered an Ada tasking safe set
>of bindings for Xt and Motif ?  (yes that's correct, Xt and Motif
>are NOT Ada tasking safe !!! )

You bet!

Quote:
>Making the Ada Xt/Motif bindings tasking safe is not a big deal,
>with a little help from the compiler vendors to let us access the
>Ada RTS...
>John Goodsen
>SETT, Inc.

'nuff for now. Note how I borrowed Greg's signature line, with the same
kind of yucky path...

Steven Hovater                     Lockheed Engineering & Sciences Company

Houston, Texas                                          +1 713 283 5119

--
Steven V. Hovater                                   Mit der Dummheit kampfen
Computer Systems Analyst                            Gotter selbst vergebens.

Tue, 19 Jul 1994 21:13:17 GMT
 XWINDOWS with ADA on PC
Continuing this thread even further, another Lockheed employee jumps
into the fray...

There are many more bindings to Ada and X than were listed in the
original post, although most are for sale by vendor companies. For
example, I belive that both Verdix and TeleSoft produce/sell bindings
in a manner similar to X.

At this years TRI-Ada there were also several small companies selling
bindings, Systems Engineering Research Corporation and ATC(?) come to
mind right away. There was also the company in Texas that Steve Hyland
went to work for (GHG?) who I believe were also marketing a product.

I don't have my notes handy at this point, but there are more than
just the ones from DEC, Rational and the STARS work. Although I
believe that only the Rational and STARS ones are pure Ada, everything
else is bindings to the underlying C.

<< Opinions are my own and I have no special interest in any company
   mentioned and mean nothing by those I have left out >>
--
Stu Lewin                                   Lockheed Sanders, Inc.
Ada Projects Leader                         PO Box 868, MER24-1583C

(or) ...!uunet!rocket!lewin                 603/885-0631 (FAX)

Sun, 24 Jul 1994 01:48:40 GMT

1. US-VA-TysonsCorner: Secret/Ada/XWindows/HPUX/-#JD-0158PM082101-0400

2. SPERC Ada Bindings to Motif/XWindows

3. TeleUSE/Ada/Xwindows

4. Interface between Ada and XWindows?

5. XWindows libs for Ada wanted.

6. ADA lib for Xwindows ?

7. Ada Mandate / Ada95 validation (was Re: ada for pc(dos an linux))

8. PC-Ada panel for TRI-Ada

9. Ada Manual for Meridian's (Vrdix) PC Ada Compiler

10. Ada, Ada,Ada,Ada,Ada,Ada,Ada,Ada Development

11. Eiffel and XWindows questions

12. XWindows and FORTH