Carriage Return without a linefeed on Win95?
Author Message
 Carriage Return without a linefeed on Win95?

I'm using the GNAT AdaGIDE v6.21p (from GNAT v3.11) to develop some simple
little apps to run on a Windows 95 platform (and know little of Ada, as I am
still learning).  I've looked through the documentation, but can not locate
the way to output text to the screen starting at a specific location, to
update a particular area of the display.  In C this is fairly easy on a
Windows 95 machine.  Is it possible in Ada?
Thanks very much.
JM

Sat, 02 Feb 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Carriage Return without a linefeed on Win95?

Quote:
> I'm using the GNAT AdaGIDE v6.21p (from GNAT v3.11) to develop some simple
> little apps to run on a Windows 95 platform (and know little of Ada, as I
am
> still learning).  I've looked through the documentation, but can not
locate
> the way to output text to the screen starting at a specific location, to
> update a particular area of the display.  In C this is fairly easy on a
> Windows 95 machine.  Is it possible in Ada?
> Thanks very much.
> JM

Yes, it's very possible.  Perhaps the easiest way id to use the capabilities
of
the ANSI.SYS console device driver -- available on DOS and Win9X  (i.e., not
on NT)

The diners program in the gnat examples directory contains a screen package
do just that.

It provides for sounding the bell, clearing the screen, and positioning the
cursor at a specified row and column.

Sat, 02 Feb 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Carriage Return without a linefeed on Win95?
Thanks David,
That's perfect for what I need at this point.  I appreciate your time.
JM

Quote:

>> I'm using the GNAT AdaGIDE v6.21p (from GNAT v3.11) to develop some
simple
>> little apps to run on a Windows 95 platform (and know little of Ada, as I
>am
>> still learning).  I've looked through the documentation, but can not
>locate
>> the way to output text to the screen starting at a specific location, to
>> update a particular area of the display.  In C this is fairly easy on a
>> Windows 95 machine.  Is it possible in Ada?
>> Thanks very much.
>> JM

>Yes, it's very possible.  Perhaps the easiest way id to use the
capabilities
>of
>the ANSI.SYS console device driver -- available on DOS and Win9X  (i.e.,
not
>on NT)

>The diners program in the gnat examples directory contains a screen package
>do just that.

>It provides for sounding the bell, clearing the screen, and positioning the
>cursor at a specified row and column.

Sun, 03 Feb 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Carriage Return without a linefeed on Win95?

: still learning).  I've looked through the documentation, but can not locate
: the way to output text to the screen starting at a specific location, to
: update a particular area of the display.  In C this is fairly easy on a
: Windows 95 machine.  Is it possible in Ada?

If you are thinking in terms of conio, you might want to take a look
at the nt_console package on my homepage.

--

-- Team Ada        | web:   http://stad.dsl.nl/~jvandyk
-- Leiden, Holland | Paris, France

Sun, 03 Feb 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Carriage Return without a linefeed on Win95?
Jerry,
Thanks!  That's an excellent package.  Easy to use, small, and it works.  On
Windows PC's, "working" seems to be a feature rather than a requirement,
much too often.  Your package works well.
JM

Quote:

>: still learning).  I've looked through the documentation, but can not
locate
>: the way to output text to the screen starting at a specific location, to
>: update a particular area of the display.  In C this is fairly easy on a
>: Windows 95 machine.  Is it possible in Ada?

>If you are thinking in terms of conio, you might want to take a look
>at the nt_console package on my homepage.

>--

>-- Team Ada        | web:   http://stad.dsl.nl/~jvandyk
>-- Leiden, Holland | Paris, France

Sun, 03 Feb 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. F90 carriage return (but no linefeed)

2. Writing binary data to a file without carriage returns every 512 bytes

3. reading characters without waiting for carriage return

4. regsub of carriage return and newline without string map

5. Binary output to stdout without linefeeds, possible?

6. line-feed or carriage-return

7. Carriage return problems with netscape

8. additional carriage return

9. Using carriage returns in edit fields

10. carriage return?

11. Line feed & Carriage return ++

12. ASCII carriage returns not cross-platform?