ada 95 for windows 95
Author Message
 ada 95 for windows 95

Hello all,

I am new to this newsgroup so please have a little patience with me.

I am attempting to install the Ada 95 (GNAT) compiler for Windows 95.

I have downloaded the w95 directory which contains the

        gzip.exe and
        setup file and
        two other files

What are these files, the readme file was not too descriptive.

I am assuming that I will will run gzip followed by setup (I am
currently downloading these as I am typing).  I'll give this a
shot, but if I am way off, please let me know.

Are there any surprises which I should be aware of.

The answers to these questions are probably in FAQ somewhere.

If anyone can help, thank you.

wilson figueroa

(too much to learn ... not enough hours in the day!)

Mon, 11 Jan 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 ada 95 for windows 95

Quote:
>Hello all,

>I am attempting to install the Ada 95 (GNAT) compiler for Windows 95.
    . . .

>Are there any surprises which I should be aware of.

I should probably let this go since I don't use GNAT in Windon'ts 95; but I
can't resist ...

I went to a locally-held "How to use GNAT" symposium, and watched the Win 95
team fall flat on their, ur.., faces when bitten by the "Daylight Savings
Time" bug.  In essence, the release of GNAT they had for Win 95 was prepared
before DST, but was installed *after* DST.  Result:  *all* the predefined
language environment standard libraries were reported to be obsolete and in
need of recompilation when attempting to compile the first example program.
 And if I remember correctly, the casual user *can't* recompile the standard
libraries.  (I won't mention names, since these people are all otherwise
well-respected members of the community.  And to their credit, they
recognized the problem & had the fix to it.  Still, to have the standard
libraries obsoleted because of DST??  Thanks, Microsnot...  I presume this
will happen again in the fall, too.  But I digress.)

Recommendation:  Check the date/time stamps of your distribution files.
Read the FAQ & all other documentation (esp. for installation) that came
with the release.  I presume an updated release has information on this
"feature" (which is not the fault of GNAT!) AWA the fix for it.

Quote:
>(too much to learn ... not enough hours in the day!)

I know, I really didn't have the time to respond to this (but did anyhow).

COLSA Corp.                     voice:  (205) 842-9083
Huntsville, AL

..standard disclaimers apply

Tue, 12 Jan 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. ADA 95 Compiler Windows 95/QNX

2. Ada 83 or 95 Compiler for Windows 95 or NT

3. Help - Developing Windows 95 apps with ADA 95

4. ADA'95 Compilers for Windows 95 and MS-DOS

5. LGL Seminar: GNU Ada 95 and Mixed Language Programming with Ada 95

6. LGL Seminar: GNU Ada 95 and Mixed Language Programming with Ada 95

7. Ada News Bulletin - Week Endint 14 July 95 - 95-07-14.txt

8. Ada News Bulletin - Week Ending 14 July 95 - 95-07-14.txt [1/1]

9. Object Studio 5.0 for Windows 95 announced with Microsoft Launch 95

10. Win '95 DDE calls in ObjectREXX for Windows 95/NT

11. CFP: ASPDAC'95, CHDL'95, VLSI'95

12. CFP: ASPDAC'95, CHDL'95, VLSI'95